Aerial Maps - level of detail when printing?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dpierce72
500 Club

Aerial Maps - level of detail when printing?

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:19 am

I searched, but couldn't find this answered

- What level of detail do you 'print' when carrying aerial maps? ie # of acres in an 8.5" x 11" print. When looking online, I can get very detailed but wondered if folks have a standard 'rule of thumb' for printing.

Clearly, advantages to go with larger 'printed' acreage = fewer maps but disadvantages = less detail ...and vice versa. Just curious if there is a 'rule of thumb' for consistency/standardization when discussing hunting locations etc.

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Re: Aerial Maps - level of detail when printing?

Unread postby headgear » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:56 am

Are you looking to print these yourself or have someone else print them for a higher quality map?
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am

check a local print shop. They should be able to make high quality laminated prints in a variety of sizes. I've done this twice and they came out very nice
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 am

What I’m wondering is how many acres you try to get into an 8.5” x11” for sizing/scaling consistency.

I notice some I save make more/less and trying to see if there is a consistent scale folks work from when printing.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:00 am

this is going to sound strange or generic but when i print maps for scouting i print them as big as i can and still retain enough detail. i circle the areas of interest with markers so i remember the spots i want to check. the maps are just a guide for the days scout. if i want more detail i can print a different map later.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks everyone - I did a horrible job explaining but on certain prints I end up with 40 acres in the 8.5x11 and in other prints I end up with 300 acres in the print.

-NOTE: referring to google earth pro using the polygon measurement tool set to "acres".

I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb ...kinda like comparing topos with a 1:24k scale and a 1:36.3 scale...

What it sounds like is mark them up in high detail and then just print what makes sense and no standard rule of thumb folks align to.

Appreciate the feedback.
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Mytopo.com

I order a large map laminated and mark it up with dry erase markers.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm

No rule of thumb. Whatever best suits you. If I want super detail I pull out my phone. If I want a quick glance, a map is hard to beat so I would do what magic said.

I just use my phone since it works where I hunt. If it didn’t, I’d print out maps and laminate them. A little leg work and you can find places to do them very cheap. But as far out as I can to maintain detail, then as big of a map as I can carry unless it’s a small property
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 pm

What is a good place to order lamenated high detailed maps? With good detail of course
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:What is a good place to order lamenated high detailed maps? With good detail of course

I’d do office max/depot or a staples type store. Do all the prep work at home for getting your aerial done, marked up as you want, test print it to make sure it will work, and save it to a flash drive. Take it there and have them print it and laminate it. If you go to a hunting website that does it, the cost just went up a lot.

Only dilemma is if you want bigger than 8.5x11 or 11x17 then you can’t test print it.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:01 am

Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:What is a good place to order lamenated high detailed maps? With good detail of course

I’d do office max/depot or a staples type store. Do all the prep work at home for getting your aerial done, marked up as you want, test print it to make sure it will work, and save it to a flash drive. Take it there and have them print it and laminate it. If you go to a hunting website that does it, the cost just went up a lot.

Only dilemma is if you want bigger than 8.5x11 or 11x17 then you can’t test print it.

Whats a good program to mark up your google maps?
Also when i print mine from google earth they arent real bright for some reason. Take it that not very computer savy too. Lol. Im still learning. Sometimes its really frustrating
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Also when i print mine from google earth they arent real bright for some reason. Take it that not very computer savy too. Lol. Im still learning. Sometimes its really frustrating

Well I use a program called bluebeam but its not really a feasible option for most people unless you are in college or work for an engineering firm. I use it every day for hunting, school, you name it.

I would say paint is the other one I have used and find it to be very simple. With anything tech related, you just get better the more you use it. I can get a spreadsheet to tell me what stand to hunt tonight if I really wanted to, but then again I have been playing with excel regularly for probably 4-5 years.

As far as printing brightness, when you print, go under your settings and print using the printer dialog. Should look something like this. Essentially, you want to find your printer settings because you can really change quite a bit about what you are printing.

Click on preferences. Will get this

Can play with trying different settings like the document, photo, cad, or just skip that and click on quality adjustment to get this

Hope this helps. As you can see, I spend way too much time on my computer and I'm really not proud of that :lol:
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:21 am

I am seeing this question can be related to scale. Each terrain will definitely have some different zoom parameters.
Getting a hill country topo printed will generally be more acres per inch than most swamp terrain. The significant features of a point or a 10 foot wide patch of higher ground need an appropriate zoom.

With that being said, the more you absorb mentally, the less detailed your map needs to be. Cyberscouting till you could navigate at a high level can reduce your dependence on maps and or electronics.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 am

Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Well I use a program called bluebeam but its not really a feasible option for most people unless you are in college or work for an engineering firm. I use it every day for hunting, school, you name it.

I would say paint is the other one I have used and find it to be very simple. With anything tech related, you just get better the more you use it. I can get a spreadsheet to tell me what stand to hunt tonight if I really wanted to, but then again I have been playing with excel regularly for probably 4-5 years.

As far as printing brightness, when you print, go under your settings and print using the printer dialog. Should look something like this. Essentially, you want to find your printer settings because you can really change quite a bit about what you are printing.

Click on preferences. Will get this

Can play with trying different settings like the document, photo, cad, or just skip that and click on quality adjustment to get this

Hope this helps. As you can see, I spend way too much time on my computer and I'm really not proud of that :lol:

Awesome thanks johnny boy. So helpful. I will definately look at the settings. I just dpent all day setting my channel up with the amazon affiliation. Lol i am so computer dumb. Lol. Its done though
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:09 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I am seeing this question can be related to scale. Each terrain will definitely have some different zoom parameters.
Getting a hill country topo printed will generally be more acres per inch than most swamp terrain. The significant features of a point or a 10 foot wide patch of higher ground need an appropriate zoom.

With that being said, the more you absorb mentally, the less detailed your map needs to be. Cyberscouting till you could navigate at a high level can reduce your dependence on maps and or electronics.

Agree. Typically I cyber scout so well that I actually feel like I have been there already my first time even though I never set foot on the land.

I have printed maps just for a quick reference but if I want real high resolution I pull out my phone for aerials.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”