Track I.D.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Weaver.b

Track I.D.

Unread postby Weaver.b » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 am

I am fairly new at paying attention to tracks. I found this set down by the creek in my yard and thought they looked like buck tracks to me. What do you guys think?

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Track I.D.

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:50 am

you need more clues to id this track how far did you sink in if you push just your boot heal in mud remember you will sink deeper cuz you have two legs that can help with weight how wide is track what's the gate was it walking threw tight trees ect. normaly your not going to id with a couple prints unless its a giant buck how big are mature does feet in your area. if you follow a track for 50 to 100 yards you will normally be able to get a better guess.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Weaver.b

Re: Track I.D.

Unread postby Weaver.b » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:45 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:you need more clues to id this track how far did you sink in if you push just your boot heal in mud remember you will sink deeper cuz you have two legs that can help with weight how wide is track what's the gate was it walking threw tight trees ect. normaly your not going to id with a couple prints unless its a giant buck how big are mature does feet in your area. if you follow a track for 50 to 100 yards you will normally be able to get a better guess.

Gotcha I will take those things more into consideration next time. All I know for sure is there were some other tracks around the same area that looked like average does and then this bigger set
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”