Scouting with dogs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Scouting with dogs

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 am

Jonny wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:Another excuse to get away! Plus, they probably enjoy it more then us...

I know they enjoy it more than us. Mine are about 1 and 3 y/o so just too hyper to take in the woods, and the older one broke her foot probably 6 months ago running in tall grass chasing grasshoppers. Stepped in a pot hole and went down. Really sucked that I was a mile from home and no phone. Not fun carrying a 80lb dog over your shoulder like a sack of taters. Just starting to get back into her 2 hours a day of frisbee with no limping or pain afterwards.

Beautiful dog there Jonny. Labs are one of the most well mannered dogs out there. Kind of know the feeling you had too. 3 years ago my dog ran into a 2" dia cut tree. While shed hunting. Someone cut it about 18 inches off the ground. Cutting her chest to her shoulder. Blood everywhere but luckily superficial. We were a ways from the truck also and an hour from the nearest vet.

Tarsal man

Unread postby Tarsal man » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 am

I bring my dogs post season scouting all the time. I find it very beneficial, they naturally run on deer/game trails. Often times its a faint trail which typically means buck. This trails can easily be missed and I've been able to put pieces of the puzzle together quicker thanks to my dogs. They find beds and sheds too. I first started bringing them just for exercise and fun, but wouldn't go without them now. They are very helpful. Now I don't over scout or bring them after green up has occurred.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:18 am

Nocturnal wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:Another excuse to get away! Plus, they probably enjoy it more then us...

I know they enjoy it more than us. Mine are about 1 and 3 y/o so just too hyper to take in the woods, and the older one broke her foot probably 6 months ago running in tall grass chasing grasshoppers. Stepped in a pot hole and went down. Really sucked that I was a mile from home and no phone. Not fun carrying a 80lb dog over your shoulder like a sack of taters. Just starting to get back into her 2 hours a day of frisbee with no limping or pain afterwards.

Beautiful dog there Jonny. Labs are one of the most well mannered dogs out there. Kind of know the feeling you had too. 3 years ago my dog ran into a 2" dia cut tree. While shed hunting. Someone cut it about 18 inches off the ground. Cutting her chest to her shoulder. Blood everywhere but luckily superficial. We were a ways from the truck also and an hour from the nearest vet.

My oldest lab took a cut branch into the chest. Looked like she got shot. Felt awful about it for the next week or so until it healed up. Wish I would've trained my labs for shed hunting or bird hunting. Crazy smart, but now they just swim, play frisbee and take up 95% of my bed at night, and all of my lap while I'm watching tv :lol:

I do love my labs. Love all dogs, but don't ever see myself getting anything besides another female lab. 3 of them for my family and all of them were home runs.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:11 am

Jonny wrote:
I do love my labs. Love all dogs, but don't ever see myself getting anything besides another female lab. 3 of them for my family and all of them were home runs.

I'm with you on labs, Jonny. I don't think I have ever seen a more loyal, athletic, intelligent, loving and friendly to all breed. My 15 year old girl we nicknamed Procto, because she is always up your...anyway, they are loyal.
I had sworn off males because a golden retriever we had was a real jerk, but I'm starting to thing it may have been more the golden than the male, as we had a mixed golden/lab female that was about as big a PITA.
Aside from endless energy, and a bit of youthful belligerence, our year-old male is just about all I could ask for in a lab.
And they are great with kids! An excellent breed.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:04 am

My redbone Grace goes with me all the time. She finds things I would never find and jumps some deer from their beds I would walk by. She has found numerous beds, scrapes and sheds that I would have missed. but truthfully, I just enjoy the heck out of taking her for a walk in the woods.,
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:06 am

Awesome. Love the giant forkhorn. 8-)
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am

I take the dogs with on our land in west Central WI. However where I live in northern WI and the majority of the public I hunt and scout is, I don't dare. We have a wolf problem, and wolves are very territorial.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 am

Rutnstrut wrote:I take the dogs with on our land in west Central WI. However where I live in northern WI and the majority of the public I hunt and scout is, I don't dare. We have a wolf problem, and wolves are very territorial.

Good point. That has not ended well for many guys that don’t consider this.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 am

Danny1977 wrote:
wickedbruiser wrote:Brought mine out when started training her for sheds until she dashed her leg wide open and a couple hundred dollars later at the vet. Learned real quick, it's just not worth bringing my dog with me through greenbrier and tick infested woods.

What did she dash her leg open on?

Meant gashed. Most likely thick greenbrier. It's heavy in MA and there's no slowing down in that pup. There are a couple of grounds I feel more comfortable taking her
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:00 am

I take my dog to scout but depending on what I want to accomplish I may leave her home. If I really need to pay attention to details and be quiet, I leave her home. But if I'm just going for a walk to explore or shed hunt, I take her with.
Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10 am

Sometimes it's just too had not to :dance:

She actually led me right into buck bedding
Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 am

Dewey wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:I take the dogs with on our land in west Central WI. However where I live in northern WI and the majority of the public I hunt and scout is, I don't dare. We have a wolf problem, and wolves are very territorial.

Good point. That has not ended well for many guys that don’t consider this.

i'd carry a pistol if legal
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 am

DaveT1963 wrote:My redbone Grace goes with me all the time. She finds things I would never find and jumps some deer from their beds I would walk by. She has found numerous beds, scrapes and sheds that I would have missed. but truthfully, I just enjoy the heck out of taking her for a walk in the woods.,

I'm with you a 100%. Mine actually took me into a buck bedding today
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 am

Awesome videos Dan! After watching this I started paying more attention to what the wind was doing while scouting with the pup rather than relying for her to just search in large circles. Thanks for sharing this man. BTW my GSD actually led me into a buck bedding area. Not sure if it was just luck or if she was really using her nose and onto something

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”