Scouting with dogs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Scouting with dogs

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Ahhh...nothing like haVing your pooch run up to you all excited...you reach down to pet her...she has crap smeared all down the side of her.

Good times. She did not like the cold brook too much but there was no way she was going in the cab of my truck smelling like that.

Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:31 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Ahhh...nothing like haVing your pooch run up to you all excited...you reach down to pet her...she has crap smeared all down the side of her.

Good times. She did not like the cold brook too much but there was no way she was going in the cab of my truck smelling like that.

Hahahahahahaha yesterday I found out my best friend loves moose ...FML I feel you pain!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:04 am

My old GSP spent everyday in the woods with me for a good 12 years before she started staying around the house. Having a job in the woods, life got lonely without the dog. I kept her out of my hunting spots in season but outside of that she had full run of the place. Plus she shed hunted and blood trailed. She passed about two years ago and I got a new one a few weeks ago and I am sooo stoked to get her out and about. One more round of vaccinations and a tick collar and its game on. She's gonna be so excited she wont know what to do with herself. I have some funny stories over the years with the dogs in the woods which weren't funny at the time but.... My old dog ate so much deer poop on day when she was a youngster that she decided to pretty much throw up on me on the way home in the front seat of the truck. :shock: it was one of the grossest things that I ever had part in and this comes after having two babies. I got a million of them but that was one of those things that you look back in weirdly fond way when you miss a good dog.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 am

Bigburner wrote:My old GSP.... I have some funny stories over the years with the dogs in the woods which weren't funny at the time but.... My old dog ate so much deer poop on day when she was a youngster that she decided to pretty much throw up on me on the way home in the front seat of the truck. :shock: it was one of the grossest things that I ever had part in and this comes after having two babies. I got a million of them but that was one of those things that you look back in weirdly fond way when you miss a good dog.

Thank you for the good morning chuckle! Too funny, and sick. The do pull some nasty stuff...
I had a golden retriever who crapped at the foot of my bed middle of the night once. Right where I found it with my foot on my way to leak. Right between the toes...the stench, my yell, and my one foot hobbling assault on his punk woke my wife.
Ahh, the memories.

What is breed is GSP?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 am

Bigburner wrote:My old GSP spent everyday in the woods with me for a good 12 years before she started staying around the house. Having a job in the woods, life got lonely without the dog. I kept her out of my hunting spots in season but outside of that she had full run of the place. Plus she shed hunted and blood trailed. She passed about two years ago and I got a new one a few weeks ago and I am sooo stoked to get her out and about. One more round of vaccinations and a tick collar and its game on. She's gonna be so excited she wont know what to do with herself. I have some funny stories over the years with the dogs in the woods which weren't funny at the time but.... My old dog ate so much deer poop on day when she was a youngster that she decided to pretty much throw up on me on the way home in the front seat of the truck. :shock: it was one of the grossest things that I ever had part in and this comes after having two babies. I got a million of them but that was one of those things that you look back in weirdly fond way when you miss a good dog.

Yep. For sure. Reminded of that yesterday. Thought about my old boy Jake...had him for 12yrs.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
Bigburner wrote:My old GSP.... I have some funny stories over the years with the dogs in the woods which weren't funny at the time but.... My old dog ate so much deer poop on day when she was a youngster that she decided to pretty much throw up on me on the way home in the front seat of the truck. :shock: it was one of the grossest things that I ever had part in and this comes after having two babies. I got a million of them but that was one of those things that you look back in weirdly fond way when you miss a good dog.

Thank you for the good morning chuckle! Too funny, and sick. The do pull some nasty stuff...
I had a golden retriever who crapped at the foot of my bed middle of the night once. Right where I found it with my foot on my way to leak. Right between the toes...the stench, my yell, and my one foot hobbling assault on his punk woke my wife.
Ahh, the memories.

What is breed is GSP?

German Shorthaired Pointer
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Native13

Unread postby Native13 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:12 am

My 11mo GSD has been coming with me and she loves it.
I think she definitely enjoys it more than me. Still not trained well enough to trust her off lead but I think on lead helps with a dogs safety regardless of how well trained they are. Hopefully we will stumble across some sheds one of these days!

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 am

Native13 wrote:My 11mo GSD has been coming with me and she loves it.
I think she definitely enjoys it more than me. Still not trained well enough to trust her off lead but I think on lead helps with a dogs safety regardless of how well trained they are. Hopefully we will stumble across some sheds one of these days!

I tried letting my lab run with a leash attached the first time we went to the cattail marsh. He ended up getting pretty tangled up, one time I had to rescue him from a bind. I ended up taking the leash off. Jet has gotten out of sight on each occasion and been gone for two-three minutes at a time, usually when I get distracted from him by some good sign.
I have been using a whistle to train him, and he has responded well to that.
Native13

Unread postby Native13 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:17 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
Native13 wrote:My 11mo GSD has been coming with me and she loves it.

I tried letting my lab run with a leash attached the first time we went to the cattail marsh. He ended up getting pretty tangled up, one time I had to rescue him from a bind. I ended up taking the leash off. Jet has gotten out of sight on each occasion and been gone for two-three minutes at a time, usually when I get distracted from him by some good sign.
I have been using a whistle to train him, and he has responded well to that.

Oh no! I've been lucky with no bad tangle ups yet. Definitely something I will be cautious of though.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:11 pm

My old mastiff thrived scouting with me. I think that is where she was most at home.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm

i took my dog scouting with me today. we found open water in the swamp and she almost sunk out of sight in the swamp muck. what a mess! she had fun!
Tmitch14

Unread postby Tmitch14 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 am

Cooper my yellow lab loooooves being in the woods!!! I take him all the time scouting. As someone else mentioned he always picks up on faint trails. Sometimes I watch how he moves thru the woods and follow. Observing him move thru the thick stuff has helped me a lot. Something else I noticed is that he really likes to follow coyote tracks/trails. The coyote tracks can tip me off to doe bedding areas which can mean buck bedding areas near bye. I have him trained for sheds and have wondered about training for beds.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm

I took Jet out for a scout today. My GPS said I did 4.5 miles... he had to have doubled that. He chased every bird he saw in the fields and ponds. He even chased out a bedded coyote and was on his heels for a couple hundred yards!
He's laying here whimpering on the floor. :lol:
Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Unread postby Danny1977 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:I took Jet out for a scout today. My GPS said I did 4.5 miles... he had to have doubled that. He chased every bird he saw in the fields and ponds. He even chased out a bedded coyote and was on his heels for a couple hundred yards!
He's laying here whimpering on the floor. :lol:

Sounds like the hikes I take my GSD on. She absolutely loves it!
Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”