2019 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: 2019 Scouting Reports

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Something i have been following up on, doing my own study so to speak, “Summer time glassing” ! What days are good to glass? Ok any day is a good day, Im quite sure there are some days that suck and some days are the bomb! Since joining the beast my year round scouting has been 10x better than what it use to be and way more productive. My theory for summer time glassing to up my odds on seeing the biggest bucks, has been go out the morning after a cool snap (front) after hot weather. The past 4 years of glassing public ground these days have proven the beat days to see my biggest public land bucks on the hoof consistaly. I just taking note on this for 4 years but its been consistant here ky. Now granted there are times when there not much for fronts in summer, But some years there a few! The past 2 years i have nailed it to the day after fronts in the mornings, and consistently seen the biggest buck in the woods! So think about your next scouting trip and good luck!
https://chroma.tryprism.com/photos/5d42 ... redirect=1

Sorry of the photo doesnt work. Im trying the huntmore app!

So today glassing trip produce 3 buck in one setting 2 shooters and a small 8 pt. And on the way out i spot a giant for public land!at 7:30

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Checked a couple of cams today, one crapped out after 2 weeks :twisted:

The other had a couple of bucks plus does and fawns.

IMAG0177.JPG

IMAG0145.JPG

IMAG0021.JPG

IMAG0149.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dcella

Unread postby Dcella » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 am

Here close to a 3 mile track I did last week. The saddle looks good with a runway right thru and a scrape close by. Did get to sneak up on a couple week old fawn at about 75yrds. Never spooked it. And hopefully a can find a nice buck, the blue being a very nice looking runway to set up on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:48 pm

And now I wait...

Hung a cam in a decent pinch point earlier. First one of the year. Feels good to be out again!

Wind is not doing me any favors. Can’t see the peninsula as good as I want, but have a better view of the beans across the marsh. Hopefully the wind shifts a little and I can slide over a couple hundred yards.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Saw a doe and two real nice two year olds in the beans last night. Saw real good numbers while shining. 78 deer total in 2 hours :shock:

Experienced the typical 10 does n fawns per buck... only 7 were bucks. One was a real good one though. He was right at the end of my spotlight’s capabilities so didn’t get a real good look. Pretty wide, good mass and height. As an eight I’m confident he was low 130’s, With another point or two 140’s is definitely not out of the question. He was with some does and another up and comer. Didn’t focus on him much as all my attention was on the big one. He looked huge, but we all know how much they shrink when the velvet comes off.

He was on private about 1/4 mile from some public Ive never hunted.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Just got back from glasing tonight. Might be time to read the writeing on the wall the big one i was after lastyear hasnt shown yet. But theres a 8 point ive been seeing in that spot that i think will get the shaft if i see him. I think its the one i passed on lastyear.

Also found a dandy looked like he would be 145 plus on some private beans but he ran right onto a little chunck of public im pretty positive never gets hunted. :dance:

Its comeing boys i cant wait. :D
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:03 am

Did my first scouting in a swamp over the weekend. We don't have many of these out here, but one of the areas I hunt has one that I have hunted near a few times. Got my big boy britches on and mucked around the perimeter of the thing and found two nice buck beds in the cattails! Got my stand trees picked out for the season and super excited to give this a try.

This is an area where there are many hikers, so when I got back to the parking lot with my pants muddied up to my waist I definitely got some funny looks. All in all a great day of scouting!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 am

HunterBob wrote:Did my first scouting in a swamp over the weekend. We don't have many of these out here, but one of the areas I hunt has one that I have hunted near a few times. Got my big boy britches on and mucked around the perimeter of the thing and found two nice buck beds in the cattails! Got my stand trees picked out for the season and super excited to give this a try.

This is an area where there are many hikers, so when I got back to the parking lot with my pants muddied up to my waist I definitely got some funny looks. All in all a great day of scouting!

:clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Took my oldest boy out for a late sure scout in a new area we've never been to. Hill country big woods running down into a reservoir. Found some good tracks in the mud.
IMG_20190810_191506768.jpg

And lots of buck bedding on all the points of interest. I love this "speed scouting"! Added a few setups to the list. The boy found a dead head he was pretty fired up!

Picked up our poles we'd stashed on the way out and did some fishing on the way back. Just a few small smallmouth and shiners
Ended up jumping a spike that was hanging out about 30 yd from the rig. He was sure keeping an eye on the access!
IMG_20190810_190958588.jpg
IMG_20190810_194234190.jpg
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Had the itch to get out and check on the acorn crop. Pleasant sight seeing the shumards holding this year. Not sure how heavy the crop is but good there are some to focus on this season. Not sure if the Chinkapin oaks have any but they haven’t produced the last 2 seasons. Still pretty wet in the bottoms but its starting to dry up with all the scorchers. Stuck a cam in a spot that should pick up with action early October through early December. Didn’t get real intrusive with the trip and stuck to the big timber. Holy h£ll is it humid and hot!!!
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Did a little observation sit tonight. As soon as I got set up a bachelor group of 3 small bucks came out, then 2 does joined in. Also a coyote in the mix and got to watch the bigger basket rack buck run the coyote off. Pretty cool night and the mosquitoes were nowhere to be found. Pheasants, deer, coyotes, songbirds...it is truly amazing the amount of wildlife a CRP field can support.

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:18 am

Just got back from walking a new woodlot looking for some sign...bumped a few deer came across a massive pile of poo. Either a large buck or a deer with IBS I think
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:20 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Just got back from walking a new woodlot looking for some sign...bumped a few deer came across a massive pile of poo. Either a large buck or a deer with IBS I think

:lol: :clap:

Either that or you have like size 4 feet.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:24 am

greenhorndave wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:Just got back from walking a new woodlot looking for some sign...bumped a few deer came across a massive pile of poo. Either a large buck or a deer with IBS I think

:lol: :clap:

Either that or you have like size 4 feet.

:lol:
Buckeye Bowhunter

Unread postby Buckeye Bowhunter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:12 pm

My brother and I went to a couple new spots yesterday to put boots on the ground. First spot was a dud, the hillside I wanted to check from long the mood g at topos was a huge pine grove with minimal sign. After a few fruitless hours we drove a mile north and pulled into the next parking lot and found the best sign of the season. Lots of apple trees with deer highways all over and half a dozen fresh rubs (first of the year). That was within 100 yards of the road, then found some some beds and good pinch points accessing oak islands in a marsh 3/4 mile back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”