2019 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: 2019 Scouting Reports

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:07 am

Prime time in this area, just encouraging guys to get out and invest in next season...5 mi.-3 hrs. yesterday in hill. In one of my favored spots I hunted only once last yr. Was suprised by the lack of buck sign. I knew it was there because of buck sightings,but where. I purposely planned(cyber scout) to go places I have never been, no trails or easy walking. Thats how I came across what I knew existed. When I stopped to process, things made sense. Picked a tree and entry to the best of my ability at the moment...nothing more exciting than having a plan :mrgreen: .
Very blessed with decent publics, but smallish. Not hard to get pressured out. Might have to drive a bit further to a couple of bigger pieces, maybe even blind hunts...still fun. Need to take the next step and possibly get some wet feet. Get out there... :handgestures-thumbup:

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Got out on Sunday with my brother. Scouting out an area we have both shot bucks in. We were picking the place apart planning out our gun season hunt for next year.

Sign looked decent, it's a good area. I didn't get any pics since I forgot the phone in the truck. Wish I would've, it is a cool looking area and definite big buck territory.

Kind of a bummer that there was a solid 6 inches of snow on the ground yet. And the water was several inches higher than normal so we were just sloshing and trudging the whole way. Feet were soaked and numb by the time we got back to the truck.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Forgot that I did have one pic from Sunday. These were the biggest rubs we found. I'm pretty sure this is a bed... and the best part, you can see these right from my brothers kitchen window :shock:

At a different time of year the grass is chest high and this is a grassy point surrounded by corn. My brother needs to capitalize on this if possible!

20190414_084119.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transition

Unread postby Transition » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:11 am

Public land scouting in Michigan. Took a break for many years from serious hunting but after finding Dan's videos, forum and like minded hunters we will be putting in a lot of effort for next year.

20181229_102319.jpg[/attachment
[attachment=2]20190331_112953.jpg

20190331_132104.jpg
20190403_174332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Got out scouting last weekend. Camped Friday and scouted and fished Saturday.

Found some great spots. Big rubs. Lots of fun.

[url=https://postimg.cc/cg91kgBT]Image

[url=https://postimg.cc/kVyg8hV0]Image

[url=https://postimg.cc/XG77gcdp]Image

Saw an all black baby porcupine.

[url=https://postimg.cc/vDKHWnBZ]Image

Caught one small bass and that was it for fish
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Imagechase bank near me open hours

I have only been able to squeeze in 2 spring scouting trips so far this season. I only had a few hours to scout and told my wife I'd be home before 11a. It's not ideal but it's where I'm at currently. I had my eye on this section for a while and had cyber scouted during my breaks at work.

Hit some hills on a local piece of public in a spot I've driven by 100 times but never scouted. I went up and down some very steep hills following tracks. I topped one steep hill and found some well worn beds down to the dirt and a doe skull. Nobody hunts the spot and it's great! It's also quite impenetrable with the visibility the deer have. I presume with it being 3-4 well worn beds with few rubs its predominantly doe bedding.

The ridge directly to the east of the doe bed ridge line had one big pile of fresh clumped up poop. A lot of old rubs and rubs from last season. I found a very old aluminum ladder spray painted green, but no platform or any other recent hunter sign.

I'm planning on hunting this area during rut with a muzzloader. I'm going to approach in the valley East of the buck cruise ridge on a west wind. I plan to hunt it in the am and use a drag rag with estrous while walking in. I want to set up on the buck cruise ridge. The tree I have marked has the rub line close, good visibility and I will have the doe beds 95 yards on the next ridge over.

I'm limited on hunt time even more so on scout time. I'm excited about this overlooked spot and if nobody finds it before I get back in there with my ml I have a very good feeling about seeing some deer and being able to kill.

I also found a few headstones around there too. Dated 1834.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Imagechase bank near me open hours

I have only been able to squeeze in 2 spring scouting trips so far this season. I only had a few hours to scout and told my wife I'd be home before 11a. It's not ideal but it's where I'm at currently. I had my eye on this section for a while and had cyber scouted during my breaks at work.

Hit some hills on a local piece of public in a spot I've driven by 100 times but never scouted. I went up and down some very steep hills following tracks. I topped one steep hill and found some well worn beds down to the dirt and a doe skull. Nobody hunts the spot and it's great! It's also quite impenetrable with the visibility the deer have. I presume with it being 3-4 well worn beds with few rubs its predominantly doe bedding.

The ridge directly to the east of the doe bed ridge line had one big pile of fresh clumped up poop. A lot of old rubs and rubs from last season. I found a very old aluminum ladder spray painted green, but no platform or any other recent hunter sign.

I'm planning on hunting this area during rut with a muzzloader. I'm going to approach in the valley East of the buck cruise ridge on a west wind. I plan to hunt it in the am and use a drag rag with estrous while walking in. I want to set up on the buck cruise ridge. The tree I have marked has the rub line close, good visibility and I will have the doe beds 95 yards on the next ridge over.

I'm limited on hunt time even more so on scout time. I'm excited about this overlooked spot and if nobody finds it before I get back in there with my ml I have a very good feeling about seeing some deer and being able to kill.

I also found a few headstones around there too. Dated 1834.

This is cool 8-)
“You have to pay your dues”
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:41 am

Seeing velvet around southern Wisconsin
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm

peteherbst wrote:Seeing velvet around southern Wisconsin

Nice bachelor group! Is that short corn?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:Seeing velvet around southern Wisconsin

Nice bachelor group! Is that short corn?

Yep. Just got home and saw another bachelor group of 6. Really has me itching for the season. :D
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:21 pm

First antlered deer that I've seen on public this year.

deer_5_1.jpg

deer_4.jpg

It was so humid out today that my camera lens fogged when I leaned out the window for this shot.
deer_5.jpg
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Noreast10pt wrote:First antlered deer that I've seen on public this year.

deer_5_1.jpg

deer_4.jpg

It was so humid out today that my camera lens fogged when I leaned out the window for this shot.
deer_5.jpg

Looking good
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Been finding some nice deer. Wish they were closer to the road so i could get aome pics. But then on the otherhand then everyone else would see them to ;)
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Got a couple trail cams out at a spot I only got to hunt once last year, shot and lost the biggest buck I've ever seen with what I think was a shot low in the shoulder. Land owner says he has seen a deer a few times this spring with a limp but getting around just fine. Encountered four walking tracks, this was the best one. Width was just shy if 3.5", Roughly 5.5" from the toe to the dew points. Got two cameras in the area that will soak till I come back in November. Already cant wait, just getting a pic of this deer would feel like a victory.

IMG_20190702_150303_242.jpg
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Got the bug to go scout and place a cam in an area I watched a bruiser run a doe into last season. It’s got overlooked written all over it and it’s set up to monitor hunter traffic. Historic sign was almost invisible since they prescribed burned it this past spring. Did however kick up a couple smaller bucks bedding within a hundred yards of the road. It confirmed that it still gets use outside of rut. Time will tell when and how frequent the better bucks use it. Did find some of the goods. Most plants had already scattered the bounty.
CDE584CB-35CC-4BCE-B96A-B3C6EC013667.jpeg
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”