Aerial Pinch Point Questions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

Re: Aerial Pinch Point Questions

Unread postby cspot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 am

Here is a topo view of his area for reference.
ImageUntitled by cspot12, on Flickr

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 am

cspot wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Sorry I cannot post pics anymore - way too complicated process for this old fart. If you look at your bottom pic, find your most southern waypoint - start walking due west across the pasture, you will come to a point that rises north out of the wood line and points to the west and looks right at the farm house. Check that point out.

I looked at his place on ONX and that looks like a point on his photo but that is actually a ravine. Pretty much all the woods shown in his huntable area is lower in elevation than the ag fields that surround it.

A low point / ravine is the perfect bedding, sucks the thermals in the evening and great escape. Most points that just out into a field in ag farm country are due to low spots :)
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:49 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
cspot wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Sorry I cannot post pics anymore - way too complicated process for this old fart. If you look at your bottom pic, find your most southern waypoint - start walking due west across the pasture, you will come to a point that rises north out of the wood line and points to the west and looks right at the farm house. Check that point out.

I looked at his place on ONX and that looks like a point on his photo but that is actually a ravine. Pretty much all the woods shown in his huntable area is lower in elevation than the ag fields that surround it.

A low point / ravine is the perfect bedding, sucks the thermals in the evening and great escape. Most points that just out into a field in ag farm country are due to low spots :)

I misinterpreted you original post then. I though you meant it was a high point that was looking at the farm house.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:25 am

I think the deer will bed on the edge on leeward side, and yes I believe they can probably see the house from that point. It's definitely something I would check out. all day the thermals should move up that point and out into the field, at evening they will 180 and he can step out into an area hes been watching all day. wind shifts he just repositions on the point.
412bowhunter

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks for all the input everyone.. helps out a bunch. I will get some boots on the ground soon to check these places out.
412bowhunter

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am

If you guys look at my bottom two pictures, you can see the yellow waypoints in the top left corner. This is where I have been seeing a nice buck feeding in an alfalfa feed every night.. Any guesses to how you would maybe pattern his fall range once he backs off this field after the first week or two during the season?
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 pm

412bowhunter wrote:If you guys look at my bottom two pictures, you can see the yellow waypoints in the top left corner. This is where I have been seeing a nice buck feeding in an alfalfa feed every night.. Any guesses to how you would maybe pattern his fall range once he backs off this field after the first week or two during the season?

At this point, what I would be doing is trying to locate all the bedding areas you can on the property you have access to. Know where the does bed and work your way back from there. If you have an idea of where the does frequently bed, you can locate the best possible scent checking routes for getting after this buck during the rut. Small properties are tough because there are so many areas that could hold the buck that you have no way of getting to. I would be trying to locate the things that could bring to the property you have. First would be does, then mast, then "buck bedding". Given that the wind is so inconsistant in our neck of the woods, he could bed on the neighbors in the morning and shift the your property that afternoon. But does could draw him relatively frequently at the right time. I'm not saying he isnt bedding there, I'm saying learn what you can so you can play a better hand...
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”