Aerial Pinch Point Questions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

412bowhunter

Aerial Pinch Point Questions

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:50 am

Hey guys, so I am new to aerial scouting, and I have this property, well multiple properties lumped together I have access on. I am trying to pick out some pinch points to potentially hunt this fall during late october / early november. I have marked them on OnX with a black waypoint. Do you guys agree with what I marked, or would you mark something differently? I have outlined my permission properties in yellow.

Thanks in advance for any help. If you could point out anything else, feel free to do so as well! I hunt in an area with mostly older gun / typical field edge stands. I dont know of anyone who hunts the way that yinz do on this form, so the spots, no matter how basic, I think would hold bucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

412bowhunter

Re: Aerial Pinch Point Questions

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:25 am

Anyone have any opinions?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 am

I like the waypoint furthest NW.

Also look for bucks to cut right across some of those smaller fields if it is the straightest path between doe bedding areas or two chunks of good habitat. Or they will cross the fields in low spots.

But as far as the tree line and inside corner funnels, your waypoints are good.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:11 am

I could not tell what you have permission on as the lines don't connect. However, on the bottom farm I see a point jutting to the west that would be a classic farm buck bedding point where a mature buck could watch the farm house. I would probably check it out. There are a lot of good funnels you have many of them identified. All inside corners will most likely have a parallel trail cutting through them. Looks like a great area with plenty of potential early season and rut stands.
412bowhunter

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:23 am

PK_ wrote:I like the waypoint furthest NW.

Also look for bucks to cut right across some of those smaller fields if it is the straightest path between doe bedding areas or two chunks of good habitat. Or they will cross the fields in low spots.

The ones with the lines I have coming marked off them?
412bowhunter

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:25 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I could not tell what you have permission on as the lines don't connect. However, on the bottom farm I see a point jutting to the west that would be a classic farm buck bedding point where a mature buck could watch the farm house. I would probably check it out. There are a lot of good funnels you have many of them identified. All inside corners will most likely have a parallel trail cutting through them. Looks like a great area with plenty of potential early season and rut stands.

Yeah I was hoping someone would maybe point out some potential bedding spots. I am okay with identifying the easy funnels, but finding buck bedding from just a map I still really don't understand.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 am

412bowhunter wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I could not tell what you have permission on as the lines don't connect. However, on the bottom farm I see a point jutting to the west that would be a classic farm buck bedding point where a mature buck could watch the farm house. I would probably check it out. There are a lot of good funnels you have many of them identified. All inside corners will most likely have a parallel trail cutting through them. Looks like a great area with plenty of potential early season and rut stands.

Yeah I was hoping someone would maybe point out some potential bedding spots. I am okay with identifying the easy funnels, but finding buck bedding from just a map I still really don't understand.

Look at your last picture, there is a beautiful pinch point right between two fence/wood lines - the buck can watch the farm and monitor does using the fence line to access crops. I would almost bet my paycheck their is good bedding along that point as long as it is not being harassed too much.
412bowhunter

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
412bowhunter wrote:

Look at your last picture, there is a beautiful pinch point right between two fence/wood lines - the buck can watch the farm and monitor does using the fence line to access crops. I would almost bet my paycheck their is good bedding along that point as long as it is not being harassed too much.

Im not sure I am understanding where you're saying. Do you mean right where the black waypoint I dropped is?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 am

Sorry I cannot post pics anymore - way too complicated process for this old fart. If you look at your bottom pic, find your most southern waypoint - start walking due west across the pasture, you will come to a point that rises north out of the wood line and points to the west and looks right at the farm house. Check that point out.
412bowhunter

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:57 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Sorry I cannot post pics anymore - way too complicated process for this old fart. If you look at your bottom pic, find your most southern waypoint - start walking due west across the pasture, you will come to a point that rises north out of the wood line and points to the west and looks right at the farm house. Check that point out.

Marked below in blue, is what you mean. Correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:12 am

That's it just look further towards the point
412bowhunter

Unread postby 412bowhunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 am

DaveT1963 wrote:That's it just look further towards the point

Yeah I gotcha. And the pinch your saying is below that?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:48 am

not really a pinch, just looks to me like a great potential buck bedding area
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 am

412bowhunter wrote:
PK_ wrote:I like the waypoint furthest NW.

The ones with the lines I have coming marked off them?

Yes. Exactly. Especially the one on the left.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Sorry I cannot post pics anymore - way too complicated process for this old fart. If you look at your bottom pic, find your most southern waypoint - start walking due west across the pasture, you will come to a point that rises north out of the wood line and points to the west and looks right at the farm house. Check that point out.

I looked at his place on ONX and that looks like a point on his photo but that is actually a ravine. Pretty much all the woods shown in his huntable area is lower in elevation than the ag fields that surround it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”