When to start scouting for next season?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: When to start scouting for next season?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:28 am

Dewey wrote:Scouting season never ends. The best time to find primary beds that are used year round is right after the season with snow on the ground. Best part is you found a bed of a buck that’s still actually alive. Finding old beds does very little for you if the buck is already dead. Guys end up hunting bucks that don’t exist anymore.

Takes a lot of guesswork away when you can just follow tracks in the snow right to the bed. These beds typically are in the most secure spots around and are especially used this time of the year after excessive hunting pressure. Bucks feel safe in them for a reason and rely on them for primary bedding. When you find a primary bed you will know it right away because they are perfect in every way and almost impossible to reach undetected. Always good to know where these are even if it’s extremely difficult to hunt them.

^X2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:00 am

As some have mentioned above - IMO there is no line between one season and the next. I might see a nice 2 1/2 year old that I will start keeping tabs on while sitting in a tree. I scout and run cameras all year. I am ALWAYS in deer season - there is only really two distinct parts of a year for me: 1) The part of the year where I cannot carry a weapon, and 2) the three months where I can carry a weapon.

While obviously all my kills have taken place during the short season where I can legally carry a weapon, I will say without hesitation that most of those kills were the direct result of the planning & prep done in the other nine months of the year. Not even close IME. I get in season scouting - but even that is far more successful for me when I have pre-scouted the area and know it well.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Sweet, thanks for all the insight guys. I’m gonna get out there.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:40 pm

2020 will be my first season being mobile, and hunting public land. So I started scouting towards the end of the season last month. My goal is to cover as much ground and find as many set ups as I can. I know I have at least one, maybe two days a week that I can scout for a few hours. Lets say maybe 8 hours a week if I'm lucky. I know time flys, so I'm going to get going right away, especially seeing how there isn't any snow on the ground here yet. And I'm realizing it will take alot of time/effort to find some good spots. Most spots that I have marked cyber scouting have turned out to be duds when I put boots on the ground, riddled with hunter sign. I have already put in quite a few miles and have only found like 2 bedding areas.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:18 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:While this years rut sign is still visible and snakes/ticks aren't out...

Well said.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
BuffaloBill

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:01 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:While this years rut sign is still visible and snakes/ticks aren't out...

Exactly. I've come to realize that I need to be scouting a lot more than hunting if I want to be successful. Unfortunately I haven't been putting that to practice very well. Been relying on the ol' reliable spots on my brother's property. Need get out on my public spots. This weekend is the last of archery season and then I'll probably be out finding some spots for next Fall. No ticks or skeeters and cool temps.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Post season scouting—As soon as your tag is filled. I took a few weeks off and started up in December. I’ve probably logged 4+ miles and 3 days scouting thus far. I plan to put hit two more public spots this winter/spring still.

Next year’s buck is killed by post season scouting imo. It’s hard work and most of your hunting friends will think you’re crazy but it works. Don’t forget in-season scouting to find the hottest sign within the area you are hunting.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 am

All good stuff... thanks for the responses. Gonna go out later this coming week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”