Scouting frustrations, my struggle getting away, learning everyday

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Re: Scouting frustrations, my struggle getting away, learning everyday

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:49 am

G-Patt wrote:
Pudster wrote:
G-Patt wrote:Your post reminded me of a scouting trip I took in February. I had it in my mind to go the remotest part of this public piece where no hunter in their right daggum mind would drag any deer out of. Sure enough, found tags and a big ol' tree stand. Haha! I actually did laughed about it, because it took a whole lot of passion, forethought and energy to drag this stand there, let alone get there on foot. High five to the dude who did that. In your circumstance, it can't hurt to consider both remote and close-to-the-road/overlooked spots to give you options. This year when I ground hunt, I plan to incorporate a mountain bike in getting to overlooked areas along roads and into more remote areas. Now what to do when I actually kill a deer? LOL! That's a good problem to have, and nothing a whole lot of sweat and cussing can't fix.

Google search deer on bicycle. There is a group of guys from Minnesota it believe that ride their bike back in to hunt and when successful they place the field dressed deer onto the seat, front legs and head one the steering wheel, & hind legs tied to keep them out of the spokes. Then they walk the bike/deer out. Looks like it works pretty slick. I am keeping an old mountain bike around to hopefully try some day.

Haha! I found this on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhqMll8awg Brilliant!

Yes!!! That is exactly the video I had 1st seen. I dont know that I would ride the deer like they do, but it would definitely be easy to walk the deer our on a bike.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:29 am

G-Patt wrote:
Pudster wrote:
G-Patt wrote:Your post reminded me of a scouting trip I took in February. I had it in my mind to go the remotest part of this public piece where no hunter in their right daggum mind would drag any deer out of. Sure enough, found tags and a big ol' tree stand. Haha! I actually did laughed about it, because it took a whole lot of passion, forethought and energy to drag this stand there, let alone get there on foot. High five to the dude who did that. In your circumstance, it can't hurt to consider both remote and close-to-the-road/overlooked spots to give you options. This year when I ground hunt, I plan to incorporate a mountain bike in getting to overlooked areas along roads and into more remote areas. Now what to do when I actually kill a deer? LOL! That's a good problem to have, and nothing a whole lot of sweat and cussing can't fix.

Google search deer on bicycle. There is a group of guys from Minnesota it believe that ride their bike back in to hunt and when successful they place the field dressed deer onto the seat, front legs and head one the steering wheel, & hind legs tied to keep them out of the spokes. Then they walk the bike/deer out. Looks like it works pretty slick. I am keeping an old mountain bike around to hopefully try some day.

Haha! I found this on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhqMll8awg Brilliant!

THAT is a riot! :D :lol: And a great idea.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:54 am

Pudster wrote:
G-Patt wrote:
Pudster wrote:

Yes!!! That is exactly the video I had 1st seen. I dont know that I would ride the deer like they do, but it would definitely be easy to walk the deer our on a bike.

Saw a guy doing that out in Montana. I had rode my mountain bike up that trail once myself one summer. Gotta tell you it couldn't have been easy coming down that trail. On top of a deer, on top of a bike!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:24 am

stash59 wrote:
Pudster wrote:
G-Patt wrote:
Pudster wrote:

Saw a guy doing that out in Montana. I had rode my mountain bike up that trail once myself one summer. Gotta tell you it couldn't have been easy coming down that trail. On top of a deer, on top of a bike!!!

A lot easier than riding up it!!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:00 am

My suggestion would be to look for smaller obscure public within 20 miles of the obvious 3000 acres. It sounds similar in pressure to what we see in Mass. The overlooked spots are out there!
With the descriptions you gave, if the signs hot hunt it even if there's some hunter sign. It just sucks to spend 90 min hiking in just to have it be blown out
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”