Isolated Ridges

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
funderburk
500 Club

Re: Isolated Ridges

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:16 am

RidgeGhost wrote:This is one of the most valuable threads to pop up on this site in a long time. This is solid information and I agree with the findings.

Great post funderburk

Appreciate that RG :D Hope it helps a few folks

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:05 am

Another thing to add to this thread that I've found holds true. The ridges that overlook access points can be dynamite if the cover is good. I have found this to be true on more than a few occasions. Even if they are close to the road. Sometimes the furthest ridge form the road isn't always the best. As some people think.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:43 am

tgreeno wrote:Another thing to add to this thread that I've found holds true. The ridges that overlook access points can be dynamite if the cover is good. I have found this to be true on more than a few occasions. Even if they are close to the road. Sometimes the furthest ridge form the road isn't always the best. As some people think.

Yep. Agree with everything on this thread. And in my experience hunting in the mountains, overlooking access doesn't necessarily mean the buck can see the access from his bed, he may be downwind of access. But the best spot I found scouting post season was an isolated ridge across a river that was tore up with scrapes and rubs within 200 yards of the bed, and taking a few steps from the bed on the point what do I see....my truck parked on the road. But when the leaves are still on the trees in mid October I should be able to sneak in and get setup, just gotta figure out how to cross the river and scale the cliffs and cross the first 2 ridges without blowing everything out.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Yeah buddy, I’ve noticed similar.

A key ingredient I’ve began to see has been when the ridges “match” or compound with foliage cover. Not every bench or saddle is a good spot to kill a buck, but the ones in proximity/connecting to a habitat edge or that connect various ridge systems can be dynamite.

I realized this last season, then listened to a podcast with Josh Driver and he began mentioning “compounding features” and that’s when it all clicked for me.

Would you mind eloborating more on compound features. I believe I understand what your talking about but not 100 percent.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:45 pm

tgreeno wrote:Another thing to add to this thread that I've found holds true. The ridges that overlook access points can be dynamite if the cover is good. I have found this to be true on more than a few occasions. Even if they are close to the road. Sometimes the furthest ridge form the road isn't always the best. As some people think.

Couldn't agree more. With that I would like to add one thing to it though. Sound. Alot of times they bed where they can see or hear and perhaps both when referring to access trails and parking lots. One of my killing tactics is never to park close to where I will hunt reguardless if there is parking there or not. Car doors, things clinging around, talking, ect are all dead give aways. Not to mention others knowing where you are. I like to lead the others away from where I'm at.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:29 pm

may21581 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. With that I would like to add one thing to it though. Sound. Alot of times they bed where they can see or hear and perhaps both when referring to access trails and parking lots. One of my killing tactics is never to park close to where I will hunt reguardless if there is parking there or not. Car doors, things clinging around, talking, ect are all dead give aways. Not to mention others knowing where you are. I like to lead the others away from where I'm at.

Agreed in most situations, however what are your thoughts on where there is traffic all year long? In my post earlier I mentioned how trout fishermen are constantly parking along this stretch of road and walking the creek so its not uncommon commotion, late winter through fall. I would assume they get used to as long as they don't feel threatened? Obviously if they come across my ground scent up the ridge away from the creek would be a different story. The three buck beds I found this spring are looking down toward the creek and the road. I should be ok until leaf drop coming from the bottom, after that its a risky proposition w out being spotted. Thermals are a whole other issue Im trying to tackle as well.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:38 pm

BigRed wrote:
may21581 wrote:

Agreed in most situations, however what are your thoughts on where there is traffic all year long? In my post earlier I mentioned how trout fishermen are constantly parking along this stretch of road and walking the creek so its not uncommon commotion, late winter through fall. I would assume they get used to as long as they don't feel threatened? Obviously if they come across my ground scent up the ridge away from the creek would be a different story. The three buck beds I found this spring are looking down toward the creek and the road. I should be ok until leaf drop coming from the bottom, after that its a risky proposition w out being spotted. Thermals are a whole other issue Im trying to tackle as well.

Yep they get used to sounds. The spot I mentioned is heavy trout and bass fishing and mushroom hunting and there is a campground within earshot. You can use that to your advantage for access but if that noise is heading their direction they are gone.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:34 pm

may21581 wrote:

A key ingredient I’ve began to see has been when the ridges “match” or compound with foliage cover. Not every bench or saddle is a good spot to kill a buck, but the ones in proximity/connecting to a habitat edge or that connect various ridge systems can be dynamite.

I realized this last season, then listened to a podcast with Josh Driver and he began mentioning “compounding features” and that’s when it all clicked for me.

Would you mind eloborating more on compound features. I believe I understand what your talking about but not 100 percent.

478AC55D-71E5-46BA-B1DC-3190A78A09C1.jpeg

For convinience I’ll post up this map I drew for someone else, I’ve never been to this tract.

The inside corner for example can be a good spot to catch cruising bucks, match that with a transition of pines to hardwoods or a clear cut.. and now we have a dynamite rut funnel. My interpretation of “compounding features” is when one or multiple features (topography, various forms of edges(foliage), fences, ponds/lakes/streams) come together and complement each other.

I hope I did a better job at clarifying. If not, I highly recommend Josh Driver’s podcast episodes on The Southern Outdoorsmen Podcast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:21 am

brancher147 wrote:
BigRed wrote:
may21581 wrote:

Yep they get used to sounds. The spot I mentioned is heavy trout and bass fishing and mushroom hunting and there is a campground within earshot. You can use that to your advantage for access but if that noise is heading their direction they are gone.

The spots I see are usually where he can see/hear the parking lot & access trail. The key being, no one intrudes on his "safe" zone! I always park somewhere else in these spots. usually down the road on the opposite side. Or I'll even get dropped off if hunting with my buddy. I actually glassed one from the road in a spot like this during muzzleloader season. He was tucked right in next to a log.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 am

Twenty Up wrote:
may21581 wrote:

For convinience I’ll post up this map I drew for someone else, I’ve never been to this tract.

The inside corner for example can be a good spot to catch cruising bucks, match that with a transition of pines to hardwoods or a clear cut.. and now we have a dynamite rut funnel. My interpretation of “compounding features” is when one or multiple features (topography, various forms of edges(foliage), fences, ponds/lakes/streams) come together and complement each other.

I hope I did a better job at clarifying. If not, I highly recommend Josh Driver’s podcast episodes on The Southern Outdoorsmen Podcast.

I see what you are referring to now. Taking a closer look at your map I can see some great topo features such as multiple saddles, ridges, natural funnels with tree lines, and habitat edges.
I guess I just never heard anyone refer to it that way but yeah your spot on. So basically when one would find a spot like that, boots on the ground scouting will tell you if it's any good and in season scouting will tell you where and when to be somewhere. Example acorns in a certain area would be a good early fall spot, doe groups for the rut, or any bean or alfalfa fields for the opener.
Who knows you could also walk into a spot like that and find stands everywhere and beer cans all over the ground and it's a bust then for the most part.
You have a good grasp on the features and edges. Did you see how your saddles and ridges also play into your map? Pretty interesting stuff.
Just something to add and I'll shut up. Something I do is take the predominant winds for the area I'm looking at. 80 percent of the time the winds will be out of these directions. You can really narrow down some killer spots by doing this. The wind is a huge factor in how I scout.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:14 am

As far as the sounds goes there are different types of sound and each animal will tolerate different amounts. Some animals are conditioned to people walking trails and will lay and watch. The moment they get off the path they dart.
A well seasoned buck has probably been shot at a few times and prolly been shot before as well. They relate sounds to their past experiences. The sound of metal clinging together sounds a whole lot different than a dirt bike. Some walking carelessly through the woods sounds a whole lot different than someone trying to be quiet but really isn't.
I shot a good buck three years ago. I seen him a total of two times. The first time I seen him I wrote down every detail and watched him hit a scrape. It was near dark and a property next to public is private. Their German shepherd was barking prolly at other deer but reguardless making a racket. I watch this buck stop, he stood there for a minute and listened to this dog carry on and then proceeded to walk in the direction of the dog.
This was the biggest mistake that buck made. When he did that I instantly knew it was his main travel route and wasnt bothered by the dog. The next day we had a major rain storm and I repositioned my stand in the rain and got out. I waited a week later for the exact same conditions and i shot that buck repeating his same movement he had done the time before.
Big bucks will use anything they can do their advantage. I've personally witnessed them using owners dogs to alert them when they bark. They can tell the difference between a harmless farmer on a tractor and the sound of a tailgate closing after a hunter drags his stand out. Have you ever heard the one about a buck that was conditioned to the sound of a squeaky gate opening when hunters would access their property? All things to consider and think about. It's the small details most people dont think about that separates the 10 percenters from the rest.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:23 am

may21581 wrote:As far as the sounds goes there are different types of sound and each animal will tolerate different amounts. Some animals are conditioned to people walking trails and will lay and watch. The moment they get off the path they dart.
A well seasoned buck has probably been shot at a few times and prolly been shot before as well. They relate sounds to their past experiences. The sound of metal clinging together sounds a whole lot different than a dirt bike. Some walking carelessly through the woods sounds a whole lot different than someone trying to be quiet but really isn't.
I shot a good buck three years ago. I seen him a total of two times. The first time I seen him I wrote down every detail and watched him hit a scrape. It was near dark and a property next to public is private. Their German shepherd was barking prolly at other deer but reguardless making a racket. I watch this buck stop, he stood there for a minute and listened to this dog carry on and then proceeded to walk in the direction of the dog.
This was the biggest mistake that buck made. When he did that I instantly knew it was his main travel route and wasnt bothered by the dog. The next day we had a major rain storm and I repositioned my stand in the rain and got out. I waited a week later for the exact same conditions and i shot that buck repeating his same movement he had done the time before.
Big bucks will use anything they can do their advantage. I've personally witnessed them using owners dogs to alert them when they bark. They can tell the difference between a harmless farmer on a tractor and the sound of a tailgate closing after a hunter drags his stand out. Have you ever heard the one about a buck that was conditioned to the sound of a squeaky gate opening when hunters would access their property? All things to consider and think about. It's the small details most people dont think about that separates the 10 percenters from the rest.

Great post, may.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:14 am

may21581 wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:
may21581 wrote:

I see what you are referring to now. Taking a closer look at your map I can see some great topo features such as multiple saddles, ridges, natural funnels with tree lines, and habitat edges.
I guess I just never heard anyone refer to it that way but yeah your spot on. So basically when one would find a spot like that, boots on the ground scouting will tell you if it's any good and in season scouting will tell you where and when to be somewhere. Example acorns in a certain area would be a good early fall spot, doe groups for the rut, or any bean or alfalfa fields for the opener.
Who knows you could also walk into a spot like that and find stands everywhere and beer cans all over the ground and it's a bust then for the most part.
You have a good grasp on the features and edges. Did you see how your saddles and ridges also play into your map? Pretty interesting stuff.
Just something to add and I'll shut up. Something I do is take the predominant winds for the area I'm looking at. 80 percent of the time the winds will be out of these directions. You can really narrow down some killer spots by doing this. The wind is a huge factor in how I scout.

What’s really helped me is I’ll aerial scout before arriving, drop a couple “Scout” pins and if the sign reflects what I anticipated, then I’ll dive in deeper. If no sign, keep on keeping on. It’s all about efficiency in my game. Working 2 jobs now with an at least 45 minute one-way commute to the nearest public... I’ve got to be efficient in everything I do.

I did see some good looking topography on that map, but wanted to keep it simple. Sometimes the first time I look at a map is the best “read” I’ll get on a property. I’ll begin to second guess myself, then it gets ugly lol.

I take prevailing winds into consideration but mainly for access now. I guess going back to the previous keep it simple statement, just keeping an open mind and focusing on the objective aspect of a property helps me keep a clear mind... If that makes sense?

I’m not saying this is the best way to go about it, just what has helped me out
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:46 am

When you find a system that works stick to it. You can always build on it and figure out what works for you as you progress as a hunter. And being efficient is only being smart. Good posts here.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

Good stuff guys . This is great timing . Got in to scout a ridge / point that is adjacent to a small public parking spot after watching a large bodied deer cross the road one evening . The sign there is the best I’ve seen so far on this 800 acre piece and I’ve covered it quite a bit this turkey season . Put a camera 10’ up to soak this summer , overlooking a trail leading across the road to a private field .

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”