Huge rubs in mass quantity.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Huge rubs in mass quantity.

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:23 pm

10/4 just got confused! Start hearing about viscous rubs in August, well honestly I get excited...

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
NEMAD

Unread postby NEMAD » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Its a learning process, that's why we are all here
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be."
NEMAD

Unread postby NEMAD » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:36 pm

Must be a reason for the less typical route taken; pressure, unusual thermals, wind direction because of topography... Hard to tell but be sure to let us know when you figure it out!
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be."
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Sounds to me like they are bedding right there. Can you slip in by water? If you can they likely won’t expect it. I’d stay the heck out of there til you get a good wind and slip in there and hunt it. Sounds like a killer spot.

Good luck
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Im a bit lost, but understand not wanting to blow a good spot. But are u talking massive rubs from last seasons rut? Or are u talking u got some velvet bucks tearing up the timber? Also what’s the timing we are talking about here? I’ve never hunted Tennessee but are we saying August rubs are a serious game changer? When do yalls season open? Is a early summer spot good for all phases of the hunting season? Or are u talking bout rut rubs and timing it up for the rut? Sounds like a sweet spot just trying to figure out the logic and thought process involved.

They were last years and older.
But the huge beds show theres a bedding area nearby. I'm quite sure its primary bedding.

I intend to hunt it after surrounding pressure has pushed everything into that area. Reminds me of that spot Dan won't hunt until pheasant season has started.

The scrapes were clean no leaves so they had been recently used. Our season outside cwd zone starts the end of September.I don't intend to hurt this until early November.

It is probably used year round.
As to when the rubs start in this area I'm not sure.

I’m interested in your thought process. Why do you plan to wait until rut? Or is there a separate factor or two?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:36 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Im a bit lost, but understand not wanting to blow a good spot. But are u talking massive rubs from last seasons rut? Or are u talking u got some velvet bucks tearing up the timber? Also what’s the timing we are talking about here? I’ve never hunted Tennessee but are we saying August rubs are a serious game changer? When do yalls season open? Is a early summer spot good for all phases of the hunting season? Or are u talking bout rut rubs and timing it up for the rut? Sounds like a sweet spot just trying to figure out the logic and thought process involved.

They were last years and older.
But the huge beds show theres a bedding area nearby. I'm quite sure its primary bedding.

I intend to hunt it after surrounding pressure has pushed everything into that area. Reminds me of that spot Dan won't hunt until pheasant season has started.

The scrapes were clean no leaves so they had been recently used. Our season outside cwd zone starts the end of September.I don't intend to hurt this until early November.

It is probably used year round.
As to when the rubs start in this area I'm not sure.

I’m interested in your thought process. Why do you plan to wait until rut? Or is there a separate factor or two?

Several reasons I was just their and the area needs at least 6 weeks to cool down again.

Their is very few oaks so when our acorns fall I'm not sure if he will bed their still or be closer to food. He may shift for feeding early season.

Main factor is surrounding pressure I feel that when hunters hit the woods the bucks will go hide in their.

Pre rut probably higher odds one will get up to go check downwind falling thermal of those scrapes.

Nighttime Navigation.
It is one of the hardest spots I've ever seen to access. Going in in the evening will be difficult but coming out after dark will be dangerous due to sinking in mud, water, snakes.

Water is several feet deep in places.
Mud is similar to quicksand.
Brush is waist to head high and many spots are impossible to walk.
Area is full of snakes and at dark I can't see them or see where or what I'm walking through.
If I do shoot him getting him out would mean multiple trips meat definitely would spoil.

I've only been in this area once ever and it was hard during daylight.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Bio1 wrote:Sounds to me like they are bedding right there. Can you slip in by water? If you can they likely won’t expect it. I’d stay the heck out of there til you get a good wind and slip in there and hunt it. Sounds like a killer spot.

Good luck

Their is water several feet deep in places but not enough to take a kayak. Even if I did carry a kayak into that swamp I would only be able to go part way with it would probably be more trouble and work then just wading through it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:12 am

I doubt it’s wind specific but can’t say for sure without seeing it. Personally I would hunt it on the best wind for hunting it...

It’s pretty common in the south I will only really find the rubs right in and around the beds. You might have some smaller rubs around the periphery and some bigger signposts in key areas on the property but 99% of the biggest rubs are all focused into a very tight area. That’s why when I think I know where a big deer is bedding I will literally grid search that stuff because you will be amazed how you could walk within yards of and not find the big beds and the big rubs...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:My first impression is that it’s a great bedding area, with a very aggressive buck using it. Possibly two. Is crossing the marsh the only access?

One of my first years as a Beast I had one buck that left a ton of sign. Big rubs and TONS of scrapes. There would be 6 scrapes on the same tree sometimes. 30 scrapes in a small area.

I hunted him a time or two that fall and none of the sign reappeared. Found out later a big one got shot in there the year before. That spot hasn’t looked the same since.[/quote

Crossing the marsh appears to be the only way.
If I go into detail no doubt someone would find it.
Let's just say private is nearby this wma.

Today I think I may have found why this particular point is so good but I can't say anything more then the surrounding properties hunt and this spot noone goes in due to its water, creeks and very high brush.

While I have been dreaming about what this spot may hold I would rather have the buck then a camera pic. If I tried to put a cam in this area chances are I would ruin it. So im.fighting the urge.

What I can say is this particular point does not have bedding for a certain wind and I have been trying to locate where these bucks may be bedding for that 4th wind direction.

I kicked a group of bucks today bedding in some marsh grass by a swamp. I'm not usually so secretive about spots but I know I need to be careful what I say or don't.

Carry a camera in your back pack when you scout. There’s no difference in walking in there and walking in there while leaving something behind. Your scent will leave the camera just like it leaves everything else and give a week the deer won’t think anything of it.. now a mature buck may walk around it but deer aren’t deathly afraid of cameras to the point of not using an area anymore. In fact I’ve photographed more than a fair share of mature bucks.. I can only recall a handful that didn’t like cameras and that was back in the white flash and high glow infrared days

I’m also in TN. Our public land has phenomenal age structure. In many cases I see better deer sign here than in KY. Does that mean the antlers are bigger? Of course not
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Also I suggest hunting terrain funnels nearby in the rut and leaving pressure off of it til then. You’re right.. spoiling him off his bed is likely if he’s on that area when you go in to hunt. Wait for him to be cruising and catch him when he’s less likely to be actually bedded there.. or maybe even catch the passing through bucks that are making some of the rubs
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:55 am

I've seen this as well but those types of areas are like that for a reason and usually they are hard to access without getting busted but good luck. But its almost always the dominant buck in the area sleeping there from what I've found.
20200914_123909.jpg
20200914_123909.jpg
20200914_121620.jpg
20200914_124406.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:20 am

Did you hunt it this season? What happened?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:12 am

DaHunter wrote:Did you hunt it this season? What happened?

I did sit it once.
I was climbing up the tree and a buck stood up and ran off. Never got a good look at him he was 70 yards or so just at the edge of view.

I had the tree chosen when leaves were on the trees and I setup slightly too close.

Their was a very large scrape still their and the area had quite a few good rubs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”