do you treat lake points the same as river oxbows?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iplan

do you treat lake points the same as river oxbows?

Unread postby iplan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:13 am

I'm hunting a property that is on a lake. Looking at the topo (see attachment), I was trying to decide if should treat these points the same way would hunt a river oxbow.

Assuming a westerly wind direction where might you setup or go in run and gun style? (I have my ideas, but want to make sure I'm right.)

best
iPlan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

headgear
500 Club

Re: do you treat lake points the same as river oxbows?

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:43 am

Not really, they need a good escape route and lakes are kind of dead ends. Yes they absolutely do swim but they don't like to be exposed either. Some good topography around a lake can be good but they need some space to loop around you or swamp/thick stuff nearby to dive into. I do hunt beds close to lakes but they have better escape routes or are very hard to access. I recall one beast jumping a buck off a point and he would swim a small bay to get away so it is possible but I don't find them isolated out on the end of lake peninsulas very often.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:48 am

There's a lot of info on here about lakes. I put a post out a while back and got some good feedback. From what other members taught me is that lake points can be good but they are also "dead ends" and the bucks can't exactly jump a lake like they can a river. That being said there's good thermal activity around the water. They aren't all created equal. The habitat within the lake point dictates the bedding as well and it's hard to say what's under those trees on the topo without walking it. I was also told that any adjacent marsh by the lake would also be a good spot to check out.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:49 am

Cutter wrote:There's a lot of info on here about lakes. I put a post out a while back and got some good feedback. From what other members taught me is that lake points can be good but they are also "dead ends" and the bucks can't exactly jump a lake like they can a river. That being said there's good thermal activity around the water. They aren't all created equal. The habitat within the lake point dictates the bedding as well and it's hard to say what's under those trees on the topo without walking it. I was also told that any adjacent marsh by the lake would also be a good spot to check out.

Headgear helped me and it seems he's already given you some good advice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”