Buck bedded with Does?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Treyh3
Facebook: Trey_h3@yahoo.com

Buck bedded with Does?

Unread postby Treyh3 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:51 am

Just like the tittle says I have questions about bucks bedding with does. I was scouting a farm terrain area the other day, I was making my way through a thick wood lot trying to get to where it opened up to a field to check for buck bedding on the edge when I jumped 2 does and a decent buck. I was probably 50 yards into the wood lot when I jumped them. My question is, do smaller bucks bed with does? Do the bigger bucks bed by themselves in a better place along edges? I know from watching Dans DVD’s that bigger buck don’t chose to bed in the middle of wood lots but rather on edges so they can use their sight and nose to catch predators approaching. Any insight is appreciated!

Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Re: Buck bedded with Does?

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:33 am

I've seen bucks both big and small bed with does and smaller bucks, but usually when I jump a mature buck he is alone. My theory is that sometimes the smaller deer will be as close to the best bedding as they can when the bigger buck is in the best spot. Maybe deer density has something to do with it too?
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:54 am

Usually they are bedding in the same area, but not together. you have doe group bedding, subordinate (or satellite) buck bedding, then mature buck bedding. Its like a hierarchy
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:50 am

This time of year, one of those Does should have had black glands and he was likely in a rut bed about to breed her. Was one of the Does younger? Here lately all iv seen is younger ones coming into heat.

They could be settling down for the winter and bedded close by coincidence but I would guess its rut related. Higher density areas iv seen them rut all the way thru Feb
Treyh3
Facebook: Trey_h3@yahoo.com

Unread postby Treyh3 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:17 am

Yes I’m in a higher density area. I’m not surprised that does are bedding further in wood lot but I wasn’t sure the reason a buck was with them. The breeding explanation makes the most sense to me. I do believe one of the does was younger too.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:51 am

<DK> wrote:This time of year, one of those Does should have had black glands and he was likely in a rut bed about to breed her. Was one of the Does younger? Here lately all iv seen is younger ones coming into heat.

They could be settling down for the winter and bedded close by coincidence but I would guess its rut related. Higher density areas iv seen them rut all the way thru Feb

Good point- I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he was locked down with a younger estrus doe fawn. Ive never really seen them bed "together" or have I bumped them together. Im certainly not saying they don't. Each region or area are different- plus deer can be different. I just never witnessed it. When I get aggressive in a bedding area, I either bump a doe family or a lone buck. Maybe the buck scoots after the does run through, but at that point its hard to tell. Either way- your probably not going to see him after that. Hes either gone or waiting until dark to move.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:56 am

MichiganMike wrote:
<DK> wrote:This time of year, one of those Does should have had black glands and he was likely in a rut bed about to breed her. Was one of the Does younger? Here lately all iv seen is younger ones coming into heat.

Good point- I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he was locked down with a younger estrus doe fawn. Ive never really seen them bed "together" or have I bumped them together. Im certainly not saying they don't. Each region or area are different- plus deer can be different. I just never witnessed it. When I get aggressive in a bedding area, I either bump a doe family or a lone buck. Maybe the buck scoots after the does run through, but at that point its hard to tell. Either way- your probably not going to see him after that. Hes either gone or waiting until dark to move.

Oh yes iv jumped them a few times that way. Mainly in Nov but he will be bedded slightly off or watching them on the adjacent ridge. If there is a hot Doe, hes not he only buck bedded in the area, unless he already won a fight. Other bucks could be bedded 50-75-100 yards away and never know.

Anytime I jump Does I wait before letting my guard down, too many times iv been burned by setting my rifle down and taking a break. The second I drop my guard that buck takes off. They will stay put if they feel safe.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 am

Thats not to say bucks and Does cant live in the same core area. Yes I do agree that a younger buck can bed w Does in some cases but he will either be really young or its rut related or just coincidence maybe. I do not see good bucks bed close proximity to Does, not that close, especially this time of year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”