Pine Barrens Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kenyounot

Pine Barrens Scouting

Unread postby Kenyounot » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:00 am

Hola, trying to really figure out this public land near me in the white tail oasis NJ. Pretty much all flat pine barrens, very little for oak flats. The biggest terrain features are creeks with bordering cedar swamps which then are bordered by the pines. This is my first season getting into hunting so I'm spending a lot more time with boots on the ground than actually hunting. Idk if that's the best thing to do but it's been fun so far. The strategy I'm using is to walk fire trails that border the pines and cedar swamps and look for rubs/heavy trails along the transition. Then I'll go deeper from there, the deepest point being the creek, following the rubs. I don't really find beds(only have in the salt marshes) and I've also never bumped a deer out of its bed and I've been scouting ALOT, not really sneaking though. My question is are these deer bedding on the transition of the swamp and the pine barrens where it's thicker? Or are they bedding more towards the middle of the swamp where the creek is? Follow up to that would be should I setup on the transition or stay in the pines. Most spots the distance from the start of the swamp to the creek is only 150-200 yards. I'll attach a pic of what all the terrain around me looks like. Thanks beasts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”