Marsh scouting video John Eberhart

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Dewey

Re: Marsh scouting video John Eberhart

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:17 pm

I would hope this doesn’t turn into a bash John thread. Not what it was meant for. Hopefully I didn’t indirectly start that by questioning his early season scent reduction abilities. That wasn’t my intent. Just making a personal observation based on my own experience.

rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:31 pm

That dude is a killer no doubt. He may be overly promoting BUT...his pre season effort, focus on security cover, hunting fresh spots(pre-set rotation is effective) and historical sign is informative. Just got to cut through some red tape.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:58 pm

For a well known hunting celebrity he really only promotes saddles and scent loc....which tells me he believes in both. Great hunter.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 pm

Yeah I don’t understand the comment about wind. It’s pretty obvious deer have those snouts for a reason.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:37 pm

The guy puts himself in position year after year, he obviously knows what he is doing.
I kinda laugh at some of the things that he says, but in the end, I am watching him for his knowledge.
Maybe he doesn’t care about the wind, he is an all day sitter, he puts in the time. No matter what he says, he’s proven that he is a killer.
Ryan
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:12 pm

Imo folks seem to gravitate to publicized hunters from there own neck of the woods, have a personality/writing style they enjoy, or hunt a similar way that they already believe is best. My own belief is there is guys who could go into your own back 40 with a couple 2x4s and a bow they made themselves and kill the biggest buck in the area year after year. I believe most folks care nothing about paying money to enter a deer in a book and those that do so have a goal in mind.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:41 am

Anyone see his latest scouting video on Michigan public? Most relatable scouting vids I’ve seen. He found 8 stands in one small section of woods
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:24 am

It's so great to see John putting content out there that we can learn from. I love to see the hard work that goes into scouting, gives me motivation.
He works hard. And whatever you think of his scent free system, again it's more hard work. He's put in the time and sweat to let us know about his trophies.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:11 pm

like him or not, the guy kills great bucks every year. And of course he pushes his sponsors, who doesnt? When people like Dan and John speak, if you're not picking up good info I assure you it's on the receiver end.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Anyone see his latest scouting video on Michigan public? Most relatable scouting vids I’ve seen. He found 8 stands in one small section of woods

Just saw it. I am very happy he is starting to do "content" on youtube! He has influenced my hunting as much as Dan and Dr Ken Nordberg.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:21 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:like him or not, the guy kills great bucks every year. And of course he pushes his sponsors, who doesnt? When people like Dan and John speak, if you're not picking up good info I assure you it's on the receiver end.

Spot on, John set the foundation and Dan built the house in my hunting strategy, I watch and ready anything they put out.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 am

I still find value in his vids. Like someone else said, I appreciate the perspective when talking about a specific set up and the details of how/why
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:40 am

John knows what he is doing, theres no doubt about that! His style of scent control is WAY diffrent then most but he is a straight up killer for sure. Ive seen some of his videos but dont really follow him since i hunt diffrently then him, but i always learn something if i watch a video also. Im a firm believer you can learn something from everyone in one way or another.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am

Good video and that does look like a great spot. Bugger to get in there quietly for sure.
DaWiz9578

Unread postby DaWiz9578 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:41 am

Hawthorne wrote:Anyone see his latest scouting video on Michigan public? Most relatable scouting vids I’ve seen. He found 8 stands in one small section of woods

Makes you wonder when people say michigan deer walk around with their heads up and pick up acorns with their hooves....were you sitting 8 ft off the ground in wide open timber when you got picked off :lol: ? I hunt SE michigan and ill say the pressure is moderate (maybe/probably heavy during gun season, I wouldnt know). Ive only hunted ohio and texas public land to compare it to and they were lighter pressure, but I never saw the top notch quality (sarcasm) of hang ons in those states that Ive witnessed in michigan. Probably again because Ive covered more ground here and Im sure there are plenty of lazy stands in other states. Im still newish to mobile hunting, beast style, eberhart style (minus the scent control) scouting, backtrack, pick a destination, pick a wind, pick access, only hunt when the conditions are right. Im no big buck slayer by any means but come across stands all the time where I think I dont even know how I would come in to hunt that or if I managed to id probably be picked off just trying to grab my bow.

Anyways, guess my take away from Johns michigan video was that those types of hunters is probably where the narrative of high pressure and hunter wise deer comes from for this great state.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”