Oak island in north eastern swamp

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

3531usmc

Oak island in north eastern swamp

Unread postby 3531usmc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:49 am

While scouting an island out in a swamp I came across many beds. Most beds were on a Point going into the swamp and many in the swamp. I also bumped some deer and found active beds with lots of hair. The strange part was the deer I kicked up were bedded on top center of the island. The hill is steep on both sides and tons of mountain Laurel in the center very thick. The beds are on the top of island out to the point. Having a hard time on where to set up without bumping all the deer and still being close enough to there beds!! Island runs north to south with point and beds on southern part . Any advice ??

Thanks

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Oak island in north eastern swamp

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:30 pm

3531usmc wrote:While scouting an island out in a swamp I came across many beds. Most beds were on a Point going into the swamp and many in the swamp. I also bumped some deer and found active beds with lots of hair. The strange part was the deer I kicked up were bedded on top center of the island. The hill is steep on both sides and tons of mountain Laurel in the center very thick. The beds are on the top of island out to the point. Having a hard time on where to set up without bumping all the deer and still being close enough to there beds!! Island runs north to south with point and beds on southern part . Any advice ??

Thanks

Pretty obvious that you can't just go plop on the island. If you can post topo's and aerials without giving it away you would receive input from multiple members I'm sure. If you don't want to post the exact spot find one elsewhere that is very similar, mark it up and post it while asking for assistance.

Hope that helps.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:26 am

Kinda rough drawing but deer seem to move from south to north or Vice versa and between two islands. Island in south west corner is near parking and normally has pressure. Island with beds is very step on both sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:43 am

What direction are you accessing the island from?
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:11 am

There’s a walking trail on the east side that goes north. which can be used to access the north side of island very quietly.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:42 am

Figure out how to hunt trails coming and going from the island ALWAYS playing the wind without actually entering the island.

Only way to hunt an island the deer are actually bedding on other than hunting it only once or twice a year by entering it 2-3 hours before daylight in an attempt to beat them in, which is extremely tough to do.

Id bet they are bedding high specifically so they can see whats going on all around them and escape off the opposite side. I have a swamp island with a buck bed right at the top of it overlooking the ENTIRE cattail swamp below where you could access. The only way to hunt it is to take a canoe in from the backside and hunt there in the hopes he decides to head that direction when he exits in the afternoon. If you come from the public parking thinking youre going to quietly cross the swamp to get to him he is unkillable if he is actually in that particular bed.

Id hunt that spot only a couple times if youre planning on hunting on it or very close to it though, good luck.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:18 am

Thanks for the information !
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:42 pm

Figure out where they are going when they leave the bedding and pick out an ambush spot that's close enough but not too close and make sure they can't hear or smell you when you set up. If they are feeding on nearby oaks rather than any crop or green fields. Keep in mind that next year those oaks may not produce as well as they did this past season and things may be different. But in three or so years from now with another heavy mast crop it may very will be on there again.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:25 pm

Thanks grizzlyadam we definitely seemed to have many acorns this past season. Sometimes I’ll find bedding right under oaks. I would think there not moving to far in day light if those acorns are dropping?
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:01 pm

I also see lots of beds right under the oaks seemingly in the middle of the open. Those are likely night time beds where the take a break from feeding to chew their cud.
The daytime bedding is going to be either in the thicker stuff or right on the edge of it. Lots of times when we have a good mast crop they don't need to move far and often bed within view of where they are feeding if terrain and cover allows.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:19 am

Makes sense good information thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”