Trail camera questions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Trail camera questions

Unread postby Moose » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:23 am

I just bought some trail cameras and since I'm new to running them I have a few questions.
1. When do you normally set them up and take them down for the year?
2. On private ground do you still set them 8-10ft high?
3. Since I'm in farm country food isn't a problem, is there certain areas or terrain features I should set them up on? I'm doing it mainly to see what bucks are around and inventory not so much for bedding.

Ghost Hunter

Re: Trail camera questions

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:08 pm

1. I usually set them out around mid June pull them for most part mid November. Heck got one still out. Going down sometime in April.

2. I still set them about 7 feet high.

3. Good place to put them in summer time is on old roads around fields next woods. If you have ridges set one where they travel ridge. If you are on private ground a salt lick will pull deer for miles once it is established. Salt licks are good for inventory from now till around Sept 1st.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:50 am

Thanks! I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:29 am

Im not a big camera guy or guru but:
Ill set them up around the 4th of July and grab them Mid of Sept. If nothing is on them- Ill relocate them asap and grab them around the middle of Oct. After that I dont use them, and Im relying on scouting and hunting as it gets closer to rut.

I also set mine up about 8 ft high or so- Or one climbing stick height. In areas where Im comfortable there are no hunters I'll set them up normally.

I like to set them up on the intersection of a trail leading out of bedding and one that parallels the perimeter. Also near hiking trails or ATV trails where there is human activity that deer are used to.
I dont have or hunt any farm country, but if I did, I would probably find a couple entry trails to the food and set up a couple somewhere along there.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 am

I run most of mine year around.

I have had "ankle cams" as well as those up in trees. Deer see the light that comes on when the camera is triggered (most cams have this light), so sometimes I think this spooked extra secretive bucks. Up high aimed down would help with that. I try to aim my cameras north, maybe consider south as well. Rising and setting sun came mess up images if pointed east or west, though I've gotten some cool images due to the sun.

I look for funnels where trails converge, creek crossings, fence crossings, any other deer travel focus spots. If there is a mowed path, deer will be using it, so might set up on that. Grass waterways or grass contour buffer strips in corn fields can be great.

Mineral licks and salt are huge attractants, but the rain leaches them into the soil which the Iowa DNR then views as being permanently baited. Up to their discretion as to whether you are gaining an advantage hunting near them. So I wouldn't advise putting mineral/salt in an area you plan to hunt. Maybe put out a corn or apple pile, something that won't persist. Edges of corn and soybean fields came be good.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 am

1- I like July thru mid Aug for the first round. That gives me an opportunity to move them and the bucks are still in velvet. Second round I shift them for early season and I leave them until I hunt the spot. Third round I reset when the rut is picking up and then ill leave them for the year.
2- Yes absolutely. Besides hunters, mature bucks will peg that camera and start skirting the area. It seems to vary buck to buck bc some come right back no issues.
3- That will vary greatly property - property and hunter to hunter. My best advice is read for tips or reach out to someone that you can share a map w for tips. Trust your gut

Iv ran cams for about 5 years and I feel like a newbie everytime I set them. Every spot is different. The main thing is find shaded areas so daylight doesnt set your cam off.

Also be sure to get one of these. Its the only type I like to use bc all the store bought ones seem to be junk. - https://www.boneview.com/products/android
Another tip for that reader is always reset your phone before leaving the truck to get cards. I see bad reviews pop up and all they had to do is reset.

In-seaosn I always save 1 cam in reserve for finding something good.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am

Awesome info guys! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”