Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SRWbowhunter

Re: Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 am

Coolest thing I have found was on an elk hunt in southwest Colorado. The camp we stayed in was about five miles in on horseback and we had gone another mile or two up the side of the big valley we were hunting. Found an old shack built from logs. It was in surprisingly good shape and we found some old glass hard around and whatnot. The date carved above the door was 1-9-1962
This was at close to 13,000 ft elevation right where the trees stopped. Can't imagine what it was like building that in January as the locals said there's over ten feet of snow up there in the winter. I have some good pics of it I can try and post if anyone's interested.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:31 pm

SRWbowhunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:This one fits under strange. :think:

Found this last weekend about 3/4 of a mile back in the woods. It was obviously carved on one end. No idea what the deal was with it and really odd considering where it was found. I was carved perfect size for holding in hand. Maybe a bigfoot tree knocker. I tried it but none knocked back. :lol:

When I was younger and went through the course to get my trapping license my dad and I met an older guy who carried a piece of wood like that when he would go check his traps. Certain animals you're not allowed to shoot so he'd use that to crack them over the head when he got one in a leghold. Could be why you found it where you did maybe someone was trapping back there.

Strangest thing is it was carved right there in the wide open. Wood shavings were right next to it on the ground. Only thing I can think of is somebody was hunting all day and was very bored. Either that or a very talented beaver. :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Dewey wrote:
SRWbowhunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:This one fits under strange. :think:

Found this last weekend about 3/4 of a mile back in the woods. It was obviously carved on one end. No idea what the deal was with it and really odd considering where it was found. I was carved perfect size for holding in hand. Maybe a bigfoot tree knocker. I tried it but none knocked back. :lol:

When I was younger and went through the course to get my trapping license my dad and I met an older guy who carried a piece of wood like that when he would go check his traps. Certain animals you're not allowed to shoot so he'd use that to crack them over the head when he got one in a leghold. Could be why you found it where you did maybe someone was trapping back there.

Strangest thing is it was carved right there in the wide open. Wood shavings were right next to it on the ground. Only thing I can think of is somebody was hunting all day and was very bored. Either that or a very talented beaver. :lol:

Somebody may have been practicing their bushcraft skills. I've seen those guys use those on YouTube for pounding on their knife to split logs.

Klemes when Barnefeld got hit by that big tornado in the '80's. My friends in Dalton. That's about 60 mile straight north of Mad Town. They were finding cancelled checks and other papers from down there. That's 80 to 100 miles I say.

Joe that's a good one on the coffin tree!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Last season I stumbled upon this directly behind my parked car out in the middle of nowhere. At first I thought it was a real skull but turned out to be a plastic halloween mask. Makes you wonder how stuff like this ends up in these places.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:03 pm

SRWbowhunter wrote:Coolest thing I have found was on an elk hunt in southwest Colorado. The camp we stayed in was about five miles in on horseback and we had gone another mile or two up the side of the big valley we were hunting. Found an old shack built from logs. It was in surprisingly good shape and we found some old glass hard around and whatnot. The date carved above the door was 1-9-1962
This was at close to 13,000 ft elevation right where the trees stopped. Can't imagine what it was like building that in January as the locals said there's over ten feet of snow up there in the winter. I have some good pics of it I can try and post if anyone's interested.

Septembre 1st (day - month-year)
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:03 am

I was bowhunting elk in Colorado. We were walking down an old logging road in the middle of nowhere and came across a weight lifting bench. Weird! The only thing we could think of was that logging wasn't enough of a work out for someone.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Found this shovel way out in the marsh yesterday. Pretty odd. Hopefully somebody didn’t bury a body nearby. :o

A few years back I found 3D deer target way out in the middle of the marsh under some marsh grass. Looked like it was there for quite a few years. Must have been a heck of a lot of work carrying it since it was almost 2 miles from any access points. Thinking it was used for a decoy and then just left out there. Must have been a pretty ambitious person who was just too cheap to buy one of lightweight portable decoys. :lol:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:30 am

I found where a group did a Bush craft protection training class.

They had built all kinds of pointed walls for defence and a fence had broken cell phone next to it. I was scared I had found something bad. I was so freaked out when I walked up on this.

being half a mile from the nearest road across some deep creeks.

Saved it on GPS and went to game wardens they said it was a training class several years ago and it was no biggie.

I wonder how many other hunters found it and freaked out.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:31 am

That's a very interesting find in the woods. In that area can someone make a claim to set up a camp like that or is it just so remote no one would find it? And it does appear that someone just up and abandoned it, leaving all his clothes and supplies there. Also by leaving the antlers there does suggest he was a meat hunter, was this for his own survival or was this his get away from the chaos in his other world?
My stepson found a small parachute in a tree once, it had a cellphone and a couple other items in it. He never looked in it because the batteries were dead and it was some old charger style he didnt have. But how random right? The camp you found is definately a cool place though.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 am

Singing Bridge wrote:There's a lot of cool things to be found in the woods. A few of the things I've found are abandoned copper mines, long abandoned logging camps, ancient trapper's shacks (ruins) and the like. I always thought it would be a good idea to return to some of them, especially the ones that appeared no one remembered, with a metal detector.

Exactly!! I just got into metal detecting the last year and I've found some really cool stuff so far. I've been reading old accounts from hunters & trappers that pioneered my area and sometimes they describe where a hunting/trapping cabin was located. Alot of times, it was at the confluence of 2 streams. I haven't made it out to where I know one was at but will be interesting when I do.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:02 am

I was doing some scouting around in a new area in Arizona and found this rock face with petroglyphs all over it. I have no idea what they mean, but it’s kinda cool to think that someone was once standing there with a rock in their hand carving in the designs.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Might not be too strange but I came upon this old car about 2 miles from the parking area in a NH state park. Not far from a hiking trail but the trail is far from driveable. [imgImage[/img]
I have also found a large stack of planting pots out in the woods.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:39 pm

AfootTrack56 wrote:Image

I was doing some scouting around in a new area in Arizona and found this rock face with petroglyphs all over it. I have no idea what they mean, but it’s kinda cool to think that someone was once standing there with a rock in their hand carving in the designs.

Definately an awesome find!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Found this rock up in a tree. The tree grew around it. The tree must have lifted it up off the ground as it grew?!

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:13 am

I have found several old homesteads with family cemeteries - it is interesting to try to piece together their story based upon birth/death dates. I found one where a lady lost her husband and three children long before she passed - could help but wonder how hard of a life it was for her.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”