Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:27 am

No pictures, but I have found a couple of old stills here in the south, possibly from the prohibition era. Both were next to clear mountain streams.

Love this thread BTW!

treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:30 am

I haven't found anything to crazy. But pretty often I find old cobbled together wooden tree stands. A few old foundations.
Probably the neatest two finds was a broken apart pot belly stove in the middle of no where. The other was a forge welded chunk of steel also in the middle of no where.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:19 am

I was acouting some state land several years ago and was a ways back.... came across some really tall plants....10-12’ tall

They were so pretty, growing in really neat rows. Looked almost like they had been planted. They had a strong smell and the oddest looking leaves.... reminded me of the Japanese Maples I had planted at my house.

I was so fascinated by them I told a couple friends. They thought maybe about asking a state official if they could remove them.

About a month later while in the area we thought about checking back on them, and wouldn’t you know it...someone else must have liked them too and got permission to remove them!

Shouldve at least got some of those big seed things to replant
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:38 am

backstraps wrote:I was acouting some state land several years ago and was a ways back.... came across some really tall plants....10-12’ tall

They were so pretty, growing in really neat rows. Looked almost like they had been planted. They had a strong smell and the oddest looking leaves.... reminded me of the Japanese Maples I had planted at my house.

I was so fascinated by them I told a couple friends. They thought maybe about asking a state official if they could remove them.

About a month later while in the area we thought about checking back on them, and wouldn’t you know it...someone else must have liked them too and got permission to remove them!

Did you smell skunk in the area? :lol:

I found some of that skunk weed in Iowa when I was summer scouting a few years back.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am

Dewey wrote:
backstraps wrote:I was acouting some state land several years ago and was a ways back.... came across some really tall plants....10-12’ tall

Did you smell skunk in the area? :lol:

I found some of that skunk weed in Iowa when I was summer scouting a few years back.

Actually now you mentioned it, I did and that was the reason I decided to carry on. Didnt want to have to take a “mater juice bath”
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 am

Found a 200 lb sow bear dead with it's head stuck in a tree stump in the early spring. Strangest thing I have seen, and still have no explanation as to why it stuck it's head in a tree stump.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:08 am

I found a dog hanging in a tree by his hind leg when I was 13. I was pretty disgusted by the experience.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:29 am

SRWbowhunter wrote:Coolest thing I have found was on an elk hunt in southwest Colorado. The camp we stayed in was about five miles in on horseback and we had gone another mile or two up the side of the big valley we were hunting. Found an old shack built from logs. It was in surprisingly good shape and we found some old glass hard around and whatnot. The date carved above the door was 1-9-1962
This was at close to 13,000 ft elevation right where the trees stopped. Can't imagine what it was like building that in January as the locals said there's over ten feet of snow up there in the winter. I have some good pics of it I can try and post if anyone's interested.

September 1st maybe? The d/m/y and y/m/d are also used to record time.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:12 am

Found a Dyer in the middle of woods, probably 1/4 from any trail. It had towels still in dryer. Probably had been there 10 years.

Now a scary one.... We were Muzzleloader hunting the White Earth Indian Reservation about 12 years ago. Me and a buddy were doing some scouting in a new area, thought we were on a game trail, but guessing it was a human trail. We came upon a mattress next to a tree with rope tied to the tree near it. We never got out of a area so fast.....
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:15 am

Just curious if you know what marijuana looks like...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:58 am

Schubox1265 wrote:

Just curious if you know what marijuana looks like...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Buckless Yooper

Unread postby Buckless Yooper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Coolest thing I have found in the bush sofar is moose antler. The U.P. doesn't have a boat load,but I see a fair amount of sign out scouting and deer hunting.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:47 am

rfickes87 wrote:Found this rock up in a tree. The tree grew around it. The tree must have lifted it up off the ground as it grew?!

Cool find. Someone must have placed it there. Trees don't grow up from the bottom. They grow from the top so nothing ever gets higher like branches etc
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Me and a buddy were about 10-11 years old at the time and found a shack just randomly in the woods. It was about 75 yards through very thick forest from a snowmobile trail which we were hunting grouse on in the fall. It was at least 5-7 miles from any road whatsoever. There was zero sign of it from the snowmobile trail, no driveway, no trail to it, and the only reason we came across it was that a grouse flew that direction and we were following it. We were so spooked we didn’t know what to do but since we had guns we felt we could handle ourselves. We peeked around and it was surprisingly well kept and stocked with toys, a couch, a tv, dishes etc we left it undisturbed. When I told my dad he said never go anywhere near there again, if you see anybody headed that direction run or hide. It’s was within a few miles of the Canadian border near if not on Voyageurs National Park land. My dad said it was one of two things, both of which he didn’t want us around. Idea 1, the federal government took a lot of private property by eminent domain in the 80’s and some people refused to leave. Idea 2, running drugs was big business in the area back then and this could have been a secret stopping point or hideout. Either way we never went anywhere near it and whenever I think about it I can’t imagine how it would have gone if someone was around. Spooky stuff
Persistence is undefeated.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 am

218er wrote:Me and a buddy were about 10-11 years old at the time and found a shack just randomly in the woods. It was about 75 yards through very thick forest from a snowmobile trail which we were hunting grouse on in the fall. It was at least 5-7 miles from any road whatsoever. There was zero sign of it from the snowmobile trail, no driveway, no trail to it, and the only reason we came across it was that a grouse flew that direction and we were following it. We were so spooked we didn’t know what to do but since we had guns we felt we could handle ourselves. We peeked around and it was surprisingly well kept and stocked with toys, a couch, a tv, dishes etc we left it undisturbed. When I told my dad he said never go anywhere near there again, if you see anybody headed that direction run or hide. It’s was within a few miles of the Canadian border near if not on Voyageurs National Park land. My dad said it was one of two things, both of which he didn’t want us around. Idea 1, the federal government took a lot of private property by eminent domain in the 80’s and some people refused to leave. Idea 2, running drugs was big business in the area back then and this could have been a secret stopping point or hideout. Either way we never went anywhere near it and whenever I think about it I can’t imagine how it would have gone if someone was around. Spooky stuff

How about idea 3. A party shack for snowmobilers/kids that didn't have an apparent trail to it as it was mostly used in the winter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”