Loose lips sink ships...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Loose lips sink ships...

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I ain't seen nothing this year. ;)

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm

The day after I shot my buck last year, I returned to the same general area to hunt again (rut time). Anyway, a couple guys pull up in the same parking area and we start making small talk while getting ready. Next thing I know the guy pulls out his phone and shows me a good buck he shot a few weeks prior, and then tells me about the twin to his buck that was still running around. Of course, all that immediately goes into the memory bank! ;)

Me? All I said was I wasn't seeing much.....couple does and a small buck. Meanwhile, the pic of my buck was safe on my phone, tucked away in my pocket. 8-)
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 am

Stanley wrote:I ain't seen nothing this year. ;)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol:
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:11 am

I guess I'm lucky. My main hunting buddy is my best friend. Neither one of our families hunted so we've taught ourselves over the last 35 years we hunted together. What's mine is his and vice versa, If he scores big from Intel I came up with, I'm genuinely happy for him, although I consider it my victory just as well. If he dies off, guess I'll be alone wolf... some hunting buddies are irreplaceable. We're in a lease together but we also hunt public. If we need to be secret about a good kill on public then we agree, it happened on the lease (sorry membership full). Half the fun of hunting is our stories and roadtrips, just better if you have a trusted someone along the journey. My wife starting to get into hunting now, but not hard core like us.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:40 am

In the rare case I run into another hunter and they ask what I've been seeing my reply is I haven't see any good bucks, only small does and nub bucks.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:15 am

Stanley wrote:I ain't seen nothing this year. ;)

I'm right there with you Stan! I NEVER see anything! ;) :o

This holds true for everyone but a hunting partner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 am

When I first joined our American legion I made friends with a bunch of fellow hunters. For about the first 2 years I would constantly get asked around the beginning of the season where I was hunting. My reply to all of them was always " in the woods ".

They no longer ask me where I'm hunting.
Joe™
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:25 am

Outdoor814 wrote:When I first joined our American legion I made friends with a bunch of fellow hunters. For about the first 2 years I would constantly get asked around the beginning of the season where I was hunting. My reply to all of them was always " in the woods ".

They no longer ask me where I'm hunting.

I don't know why they stopped. You told them the best spot. Just like the fish are all biting in the mouth :lol:
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 am

I also think i read an article one time taking about how Myles Keller overheard some people talking about a big buck on some nearby land and he went in scouted the area got on the buck and harvested it. If i recall people weren't happy about it but when you give out solid tips to killers it's like putting them in a petting zoo and expecting them not to be able to touch any of the animals
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:12 am

A little off topic, but when I worked in Yellowstone you would hit bison jams daily. It would get to the point where traffic would be backed up for a long way. We just started telling people that there were wolves at such and such place and watch people scatter like roaches to get there. Then you could be on your way.
Joe™
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:53 am

Outdoor814 wrote:A little off topic, but when I worked in Yellowstone you would hit bison jams daily. It would get to the point where traffic would be backed up for a long way. We just started telling people that there were wolves at such and such place and watch people scatter like roaches to get there. Then you could be on your way.

That's what people do.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:24 am

Bump
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:12 am

Then throw them off... Talk about some honey hole that dont exist. Then you can laugh as they chase the pot of gold at thee end of YOUR rainbow
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:47 pm

Dewey,

Can you give us the story on what happened this season from guys following the “live thread” posts? I always enjoyed your posts in it and the photos of your set up. Sucks people were bumming off you.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:42 pm

jkelley1487 wrote:Dewey,

Can you give us the story on what happened this season from guys following the “live thread” posts? I always enjoyed your posts in it and the photos of your set up. Sucks people were bumming off you.

To make a long story short a couple of guys who admitted they were lurkers here at the Beast showed up in an area I frequent and claim they hunted there only because I was and figured there must be some good bucks around. Unreal. Can’t believe they actually admitted that. Said they knew me from the Beast and recognized my vehicle. Obviously locals and not unusual they would know me since I lived here all my life. I never seen them before and never asked their names. In hindsight that was a mistake on my part.

As the season went on I started seeing more and more footprints in areas I frequented which was very rare. It was pretty obvious they were checking out where I was going. The final straw was in early November when I found tracks from two guys in the snow that followed mine from the day before RIGHT to my tree I set up in and then right back out again to the parking area. Obviously checking out where I was hunting. The previous evening I posted on the Live thread that I was hunting in one of my best spots and also where I killed a few of my biggest bucks. That detail was the dumbest thing I ever posted. Loose lips do indeed sink ships and I should know better.

My guess is at least one of the guys and maybe multiple for all I know have been watching my posts and then drive around the marsh looking for my truck to figure out where I was by the details or pics I posted. I hate to think that anybody could stoop that low but I was seeing more and more evidence as the season went on that this was exactly what was happening.

Early November I posted my last time in the Live thread. It’s just not worth it to me anymore. I don’t need to post pics of my set up and don’t need to report what I’m seeing. Why should I give free intel to guys who obviously use it for all the wrong reasons? Hopefully the lurkers involved read this post. You got your last bit of free info from me.

All I can say is be careful what you say or do. I’m not a paranoid person but running into actual lurkers/stalkers really made me evaluate how I do things. To be honest not posting in the Live thread is kinda refreshing. I always put quite a bit into it and spent too much time doing it anyway. Gives me more time to focus on the hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”