Public Land - Scouting Electronically HELP

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Public Land - Scouting Electronically HELP

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:07 am

rfickes87 wrote:
Jonny wrote:Bump. Some real good info here

Thanks for bumping this Jonny.

This was a good read for me! Lately I just started looking at a new chunk of public and it meets a lot of Bucky's specs. His strategy is a lot of common sense but really a great confidence boost for me finding an area I like and then reading through this.

Recently I bumped into a game warden at a Chinese restaurant. I flat out asked him if he'd seen any monsters in the area and he told me exactly where to go, just to be willing to walk a LONGGG way, its about a 2-3 mile walk. Prior to that discussion I had also over heard a conversation about a potential state record being poached in that exact area...

Doesn't get much more obvious sometimes...lol

A game warden can be one of the best sources of intel because they spend every single day out there and talk to a lot of hunters. It pays to stay on their good side. They appreciate us working with them instead of against them and aren’t afraid to reward that once you gain their trust.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 am

Dewey wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
Jonny wrote:Bump. Some real good info here

Thanks for bumping this Jonny.

This was a good read for me! Lately I just started looking at a new chunk of public and it meets a lot of Bucky's specs. His strategy is a lot of common sense but really a great confidence boost for me finding an area I like and then reading through this.

Recently I bumped into a game warden at a Chinese restaurant. I flat out asked him if he'd seen any monsters in the area and he told me exactly where to go, just to be willing to walk a LONGGG way, its about a 2-3 mile walk. Prior to that discussion I had also over heard a conversation about a potential state record being poached in that exact area...

Doesn't get much more obvious sometimes...lol

A game warden can be one of the best sources of intel because they spend every single day out there and talk to a lot of hunters. It pays to stay on their good side. They appreciate us working with them instead of against them and aren’t afraid to reward that once you gain their trust.

Yep. I actually have been in contact with a warden since a couple properties by me have no entry wildlife refuges, and I wanted to know what happens if I shoot one and it dies in the refuge. Seemed thrilled I asked about it ahead of time instead of calling him in the middle of the night while tracking. I'll have to ask him if he has any advice for a young broke college kid hunting the high pressure public :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 am

Fun to read that a few yrs later... still using same methods for my next out of state hunt ;)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”