DEER BED PICS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: DEER BED PICS

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Image

This is one I found in early spring . It was a big bed imbedded in the ground full of hair. I kicked a lone deer out of the area before I found it and found a shed nearby. It was on a small piece of high ground surrounded by water. On public land

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Why so much hair. Dam that deer got the mange or somthing. All that hair is crazy. Do deer shed like dogs do?

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:wow those are awesome pics. Where I hunt you will seldom find beds that used. I would love for a few days of snow to be able to locate some bedding areas. As it is, we have no snow, huge expanses of thick brush and the deer seldom use the same beds - they more often use areas. The only effective way I have been able to hunt these beds is to isolate and set up on their morning approach (usually downwind - always downwind in the case of 4 year old bucks). Evenings are typically a bust as it is too hot (bucks stay pretty nocturnal until Late Nov) and just to noisy to approach close enough.

Dave is just a hair further south than i am but shares in the same struggles of finding bedding. Not saying it’s extremely hard finding bedding in the south, it’s just not as obvious and concrete on the details. I’d say it takes more observation to really fine tune a bedding hunt plan. Though the bedding principles are the same for bucks in all regions of the country, I’m almost convinced or completely convinced on some differences in bed characteristics Northern regions vs Southern regions.

You guys up north have it good on finding hair in the beds. Significantly thicker winter coats and longer more visible hairs. Best chance of getting visible hair in beds here is when they start shedding in late March and after.

The vast amount of thick cover provides so much potential bedding that worn to the dirt beds are quite rare. If you find one here, you’ll never forget it. Marshy areas with cattails and marsh grasses are usually too small and fragmented to be sufficient bedding areas. Extended and ever shifting green zones also allow for infinite bedding choices. Bedding “areas”are more prevalent and not so heavily wind dependent when they’re briar thickets on flat to marginal slopes. Within those are more options to bed to the point they don’t need to bed in one distinct spot in order to get the benefit. It takes a pretty extreme wind shift for them to need to relocate to a new bedding area altogether.

With so many available places to bed, competition for beds is almost non existent outside of the rut. With that you get a lack of rubs signaling use of beds in early and late season. Couple that with an extended rut time frame, bucks tend to be more nomadic looking for estrous does from late October through the end of January. No need to stay in one area for too long and leave significant amounts of sign.

When deer are having to “share”bedding areas with feral hogs, you’re going to lose deer bedding sign. I say it’s very common deer get pushed out of beds because of hogs. If they aren’t staying there long, they can’t leave long term use sign.

These are just differences I’m seeing how deer choose bedding here and how I see them use those areas. They’re still just as huntable as anywhere but one has to understand the twists involved in the process. Not every region is going to play to the exact same beat. I’m keeping a folder of bed pics and will post them soon enough to show not all buck beds are carved out of the same stone.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:17 am

Lopedog699 wrote:

This is one I found in early spring . It was a big bed imbedded in the ground full of hair. I kicked a lone deer out of the area before I found it and found a shed nearby. It was on a small piece of high ground surrounded by water. On public land

Why so much hair. Dam that deer got the mange or somthing. All that hair is crazy. Do deer shed like dogs do?

Yes they shed like that eapeically where cold weather is more in effect to make winter coats. I have seen bedding areas in the past where it looks like something got a hold of the deer, but its bedding in the same spot while there losing there winter coats!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Scoutking07
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WisconsinWhitetailTrailCam/

Unread postby Scoutking07 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 am

Always pick a spot!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am

Scoutking07 wrote:Image

Nice Pics!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 am

These are some of the best deer bed pics I've seen! Did you ever get a shot to kill this buck?
Scoutking07
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WisconsinWhitetailTrailCam/

Unread postby Scoutking07 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:44 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:

These are some of the best deer bed pics I've seen! Did you ever get a shot to kill this buck?

I did not get a chance to hunt him this season. But I’m very excited to try to set up on him this upcoming season! He is a very wise old bigwoods buck. I’d be honored to see him on the hoof.
Always pick a spot!
Osborn Outdoors
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/OsbornOutdoors/

Unread postby Osborn Outdoors » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

We were surprised by the amount of hair.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Wow it looks like somthing tore a deer too shreds there is so much hair. Thats crazy
Awesome pics
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 am

that is so cool he's laying like my dog
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 am

Lopedog699 wrote:

you want to see a lot of hair look for beds when they shed their winter coats they look like a deer died their
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:52 am

Last week during an uneventful doe hunt I decided to take advantage of the snow and see if I could find this one buck's track. I did and it led me to this:

Osborn Outdoors

Unread postby Osborn Outdoors » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:29 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Wow it looks like somthing tore a deer too shreds there is so much hair. Thats crazy
Awesome pics

I know right! But those pictures are separate beds and the are at least 1/8 to 1/2 of a mile apart.
Osborn Outdoors

Unread postby Osborn Outdoors » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:48 am

We were surprised by the amount of hair.

Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 am

Osborn Outdoors wrote:We were surprised by the amount of hair.

Man that's cool! Thanks for posting those. I'm hoping to run into my own beds like that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”