Great Lakes Fishing!!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Great Lakes Fishing!!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:29 am

Who else is getting antsy for hitting the Great Lakes, whether by charter or by getting your boat out and getting ready? I know I am BIG TIME! There's something about being miles offshore on the big water that can't be explained- I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm glad that no one ever asks me, "If you had to decide between deer hunting and the Great Lakes, not being able to do one or the other for the rest of your life..." You might not like my answer!! :lol: Guess it depends on the day you ask...

The picture above?... that's the Effie, hand built by my great-grandfather, grandfather and his brothers in the late 1800's. This ship was a freight and mail hauler, getting ready to leave mighty Drummond Island and head back to "Shawl Island" (my family's last name).

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Great Lakes Fishing!!

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:56 am

I agree! I "like" inland fishing, but am addicted to big water fishing just like bowhunting. I would have the same hard decision to make if I had to choose. Great lakes fishing is more like hunting than fishing and I think thats why I love it so much. Its all about strategy and planning ahead and adapting to changing conditions. Come on spring!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm in. About time to get the boat out and cleaned up. What port do y'all fish from? I'm a Kewaunee, Algoma, T'Rivers guy...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Schubox1265 wrote:I'm in. About time to get the boat out and cleaned up. What port do y'all fish from? I'm a Kewaunee, Algoma, T'Rivers guy...

Saginaw Bay- multiple ports.

Tawas and Oscoda are a couple of my favorites too.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 pm

My good buddy has a salmon boat-best way to do it all I gotta pay for is gas hehe. Anyways we fish south haven, pentwater, ludington, manistee and sometimes Frankfort. Fish on!!!!

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 am

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:My good buddy has a salmon boat-best way to do it all I gotta pay for is gas hehe. Anyways we fish south haven, pentwater, ludington, manistee and sometimes Frankfort. Fish on!!!!

Those are some of the finest fishing ports of all the Great Lakes! I always wished the East side (Huron) had developed to something close to that, -at least our walleye fishing is off the charts.
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Speaking of walleyes, the run is just heating up in the Detroit river! Is anybody else on here gonna be out there soon?

I had a slow day today and only picked up 1. Seemed average for most guys I talked too. Might hit it again tomorrow for a few. The water is still a touch cold. In another week or so it should be easy limts!!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 am

Great post and pic Bridge.

Gogebic, I fished out of Luddington a few times for salmon, and Uncleron its been a few years since I hit the Detroit River, when the walleye are in its a blast.

I did get a good dose of St. Clair last summer on some smallies and a couple bonus musky. If I had to pick a fish to chase on my own its the smallmouth, but if someone wants to invite me along I love to drag any fish by the mouth.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am

I enjoy Great Lakes fishing, but get so dang sea sick it takes a lot of the fun right out of it. I take meds for it, but then get kind of drowsy... when I see a strike it usually takes me a few seconds to get up and set the hook! hahaha Heck, I was on the Muskegon River a few weekends ago and started to feel queezy... hahaha
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 am

Ludington and manistee have to be my favorite ports on the west side. I exspecially like manistee for its (shelf) we usually hammer them around the shelf. Its neat because you can go from 50ft of water to a couple hundred feet quick.

• Advertisement

Return to “Great Lakes Fishing”