possible new world record brown

• Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

possible new world record brown

Unread postby tim » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:35 am

now im not a fisherman by any means, but seen in the racine paper here the pst couple days pics of a possible new world record brown pulled from lake michigan .anyone else see pics of this thing---pretty impressive.

tim
500 Club

Re: possible new world record brown

Unread postby tim » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:37 am

oops guess i should put this in great lakes section, shows how much im in the fishing section :oops:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 am

I haven't seen it yet. The record is 40 some odd pounds I believe. We need pics!!!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:46 am

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/98619539.html
Potential world record brown trout caught off Racine
By Paul A. Smith of the Journal Sentinel
July 16, 2010 |(57) COMMENTS

Fishing the waters off Racine Friday morning, Roger Hellen of Franksville landed a 41.5-pound brown trout. The fish is more than a whopper - it's a potential world record.

Hellen was taking part in Salmon-A-Rama, the long-standing fishing contest run in Racine by Salmon Unlimited of Wisconsin, Inc.

He caught the fish trolling in the Lake Michigan waters near Wind Point in northern Racine County.

"Unreal," said Hellen, 38, and a veteran Lake Michigan angler. "But if you fish out here often enough, you know almost anything is possible."

The fish was identified as a brown trout by Cheryl Peterson, a Department of Natural Resources fisheries technician working the Salmon-A-Rama weigh-in tent.

The DNR stocks two strains of brown trout in Lake Michigan - domestic and Seeforellen. Hellen's fish appears to be a Seeforellen, said Peterson. Tissue samples were taken by the DNR to age and assess the genetics of the fish.

The Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and the International Game Fish Association list the world record brown trout as a 41 lbs. 7 oz. ( 18.7956 kilograms) fish caught Sept. 9, 2009 in the Manistee River, Michigan.

Hellen's fish was taken to Brossman's Meat Market in Racine so it could be weighed on a certified scale. If the weight (41 pounds, 8 ounces) holds up, it would be a world record for the species.

The photo below was taken by Salmon Unlimited member Mary Lee Hetland and shows Hellen holding the brown trout on the Salmon-A-Rama grounds near the Racine harbor.

We'll have more on this breaking story later today.
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Wow thats a big fish ,congrats to him !!! That would be some surprise eh ?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:45 am

That is one big brown 8-)

dang Great Lakes Brown Trout, anyway! I was innocently trolling for walleye last week when a 12 pound brown ripped up my spread. Great on the grill! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Great Lakes Fishing”