Family 60 acres, looking for a fresh point of view..

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

csgrizz

Family 60 acres, looking for a fresh point of view..

Unread postby csgrizz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:51 am

Would love the beast forum input on this property. As you can tell it is split with a major creek (30 yards wide over chest deep at times). The only access to the south side of the property is from the main road, which actually follows the property line, not as depicted curving in the topo. The south and east side are flood plain silver maples, cottonwoods, and crp. The ridge that borders the north and west side is hardwoods/ridgeline that boarders the creek and the yard of the inlaws home. It is extremely thick due to logging 5 years ago.

Obviously I have a memory bank to draw on but I always like to get other hunters opinions on the property, where would you think to hunt, buck bedding, access etc. I realize its a small property, but its better than nothing, and I find it fun to see what other hunters would do on my ground...sometimes I catch myself falling into a "rut" on property I know well. :naughty:

Thanks in advance for any input.

later,

CS

csgrizz

Re: Family 60 acres, looking for a fresh point of view..

Unread postby csgrizz » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:55 am

bump...

I guess I should of added, that when conditions call for it and the creek is low enough, I will/have used chest waders to access from the opposite side of the creek, but on a wet year it calls for a small boat.

Anyone have an any input?
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 am

The blue dots are possible stand locations. The red areas are where I would expect the most sign. The yellow is where I would expect to see deer trails. I am not sure about buck bedding being there is not alot of topography, but I would imagine that the deer may be walking right along the creek bed.

I like the funnels that are present on this piece, however it is hard to tell how wide they are. i would expect the best spot would be the red circled area on the right. You have a nice place where deer can stage before going out into any of the fields. Might be a bit tough to gage the wind here however with the openings and fields placed how they are.

I would expect to see rubs around the perimeters of the fields and scrapes in the center where i have the read cirlce outlined.

I do not know a lot about farm country bucks but would image he is bedding somewhere in that intersection of fileds, so he can escape through any one of those funnels. The buck may be bedded along that creek and from previouse posts by others many have found beds in the S bends of the stream.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
csgrizz

Unread postby csgrizz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:42 am

Mike, appreciate the input.

Your middle "dot" is one of my favorite spots on the farm, had multiple encounters with bigger bucks in that area. That timber is very open from yearly floods, I have began a hinge cutting program to add bedding areas on the low side, but typically the bigger bucks bed in the thick stuff behind the inlaws house (the green markers). I have a trail cam sequence from 2011, of myself walking away from my camera, 40 yards off my inlaws yard, and a very nice buck walking into frame and watching me walk across the back yard. Problem with that (and why they love it) its extremely tough to access or hunt.

Thanks again for your perspective.

CS
csgrizz

Unread postby csgrizz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:00 am

Bump, I enjoy the input...no wrong answers, would love to hear more "beast" input on this property.

If you were going in blind beast style, where would you start?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”