Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
Elite
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:28 am
Status: Offline

Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby Elite » Tue May 12, 2020 1:23 pm

I thought the farmer would be planting corn this year but it looks like he went with wheat. He just planted it about one week ago and it's starting to germinate. I'm not sure if it's spring or winter wheat, or how the deer will respond to it. Any experience?


swampyak
500 Club
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:31 pm
Location: Northern MN
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby swampyak » Tue May 12, 2020 11:25 pm

In Minnesota we is planted in the fall
I'd say spring wheat
User avatar
Quest1001
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 12:21 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby Quest1001 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:07 am

Are the deer in spring wheat during the fall hunting season compared to beans?
Elite
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:28 am
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 15, 2020 5:36 am

Quest1001 wrote:Are the deer in spring wheat during the fall hunting season compared to beans?


I'd also like to know how they react to spring wheat.
matt1336
500 Club
Posts: 3155
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:40 am

When the beans turn yellow they’re on the greens. I’ve seen deer walk past green beans to get to clover....depends what the are in the need for at that particular time.
Wheat stays green for a long time and it shoots up first. It’s great for deer imo and something I plan to plant more of.
User avatar
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 am
Location: upper michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am

When I lived I corn country I remember two different occasions I found some deer and nice bucks in wheat field after harvest.Bedding in a tiny wood lot. After they thrashed the wheat there was clovers and such underneath and they were hammering it. September sometime..But Both times the field was chisel plowed and the deer disappeared as this was in the wide open flat lands where there was about 5 acres of woods in 10 sq miles.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
User avatar
Hawthorne
500 Club
Posts: 4822
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:13 pm
Location: michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am

I’ve never seen them plant wheat in spring. They plant it in fall then harvest it the following July. That’s in southern Michigan. Could be different there
Do it
User avatar
cspot
500 Club
Posts: 1147
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Location: Western PA
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby cspot » Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm

It is usually planted in the fall but have seen some cases where farmers plant in spring. I don’t believe the deer will hit it this fall as it should be dead. They usually don’t like it once it starts getting very tall. Are you sure it is wheat and not something else?
Elite
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:28 am
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby Elite » Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 pm

cspot wrote:It is usually planted in the fall but have seen some cases where farmers plant in spring. I don’t believe the deer will hit it this fall as it should be dead. They usually don’t like it once it starts getting very tall. Are you sure it is wheat and not something else?


I was told by a neighbor that it's buckwheat, but he doesn't talk to or know the farmer. It was beans last year and early this spring the farmer said he was either going to plant corn or wheat.
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 6744
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu May 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Around here, almost everyone plants wheat in the spring. It gets planted before everything else because it can handle colder temps.

It usually gets combined in August. Generally speaking, deer around here ignore it. On occasion during the summer months I’ll see deer in tall/green wheat before it dries up. In certain situations I’ll see them hit the regrowth pretty hard after everything else freezes and dies. The regrowth will stay green really late. To me that’s when the biggest draw is. That said, corn stubble is just as much of a draw.

The only time I get excited when I see a wheat field is when I’m in western SD. It can be a gold mine out there.
Elite
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:28 am
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 am

Lockdown wrote:Around here, almost everyone plants wheat in the spring. It gets planted before everything else because it can handle colder temps.

It usually gets combined in August. Generally speaking, deer around here ignore it. On occasion during the summer months I’ll see deer in tall/green wheat before it dries up. In certain situations I’ll see them hit the regrowth pretty hard after everything else freezes and dies. The regrowth will stay green really late. To me that’s when the biggest draw is. That said, corn stubble is just as much of a draw.

The only time I get excited when I see a wheat field is when I’m in western SD. It can be a gold mine out there.


Good information to know, thank you!
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2317
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: Spring vs winter wheat and deer preference

Unread postby tim » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Buckwheat makes more sense. Now is the time for planting, I just broadcast some on Sunday. It’s a cover crop and not exactly high on the deer preference list. I’m using mine in my Apple orchard to drown out weeds. Most likely he will plant something else in a couple months if ThTs what he planted.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest