To fence or not to fence

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
Elite

Re: To fence or not to fence

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:56 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:You might be able to rig something up with a few rolls of chicken wire, zip ties and a frame Made of 2 by 4s or PVC for fairly cheap.

Like make a few strips that are 3 ft tall by 5ft wide by 25 ft long maybe in a few areas and keep them staked down and caged off till the plants mature or it gets deep into hunting season. Then open it up so it’s exposed whenever you get ready.

Make sense?

I was thinking of using caution tape using the same design like a Hot Zone fence. Granted, it won't be electric but it's greatly cheaper. Just hope the bears don't destroy it...

1STRANGEWILDERNESS

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:02 am

Hard to say, I’d probably just risk it..Have a bunch of rye oats and peas or something to throw in as a backup plan. You could broadcast a bunch of that seed in there mid to late august regardless.. Not saying it’s the best approach I just typically gamble with these type of things.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:12 am

i'm in NE Minn. We do brassicas on our private land every year. We have some clover and other perrennials planted to give them something else to feed on while the brassicas grow. They don't typically start eating on them until late september/early october, but they seem to just eat the leafy tops and save the roots until later in october. We also have a few larger plots, and a lot of woods, so it might be a bit different for you if you've got a smaller plot. A buddy of mine (NW Wisc.) plants the same stuff as us on a pipeline strip on his property (about 200yards long by 30 wide) that he doesnt fence in. But he has sections that are just brassicas and sections of just clover. If i remember right, he said the deer really started feeding on the brassica tops in early october. Hope this helps.
Elite

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 am

Cchez wrote:i'm in NE Minn. We do brassicas on our private land every year. We have some clover and other perrennials planted to give them something else to feed on while the brassicas grow. They don't typically start eating on them until late september/early october, but they seem to just eat the leafy tops and save the roots until later in october. We also have a few larger plots, and a lot of woods, so it might be a bit different for you if you've got a smaller plot. A buddy of mine (NW Wisc.) plants the same stuff as us on a pipeline strip on his property (about 200yards long by 30 wide) that he doesnt fence in. But he has sections that are just brassicas and sections of just clover. If i remember right, he said the deer really started feeding on the brassica tops in early october. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”