Anybody planting trees this spring

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Re: Anybody planting trees this spring

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm also thinking about putting a bunch of these in.

https://www.nativnurseries.com/p-135-na ... plugs.aspx

[ Post made via Android ] Image

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:01 am

Hawthorne wrote:My tree planting starts tomorrow. Im planting 200 red pine and 100 white spruce for bedding. Then the end of April im planting 50 speckled alder, 8 pear trees, and 10 sugar maple. I get most of my trees in plugs not bare root. Much easier to plant.

I would plant some sugar maple in key buck travel locations on the property. Hard maple (sugar maple) is more dense than oak, Ash, etc. When the hardest trees in a buck travel corridor get rubbed, I almost always have a good buck on my hands.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 am

Bigburner wrote:This week I'll be planting 100 red osier dogwood, 100 gray dogwood, 100 silky dogwood, 100 persimmon, 50 Allegheny chinquapin, 50 each of crabapple and American plum. sheltering the majority. I've been using these for a few years http://www.growtube.com/products/treeshelter/ with a bamboo stake. They are definitely the way to go. All of the dogwoods are going on clearcut edges to create a soft edge and transition/bedding /winter food source. and I'll put the soft/hard mast in some key ambush spots to give the big boys an incentive to move early. all for the purpose of future dividends.

Very nice! 8-)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:53 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:My tree planting starts tomorrow. Im planting 200 red pine and 100 white spruce for bedding. Then the end of April im planting 50 speckled alder, 8 pear trees, and 10 sugar maple. I get most of my trees in plugs not bare root. Much easier to plant.

I would plant some sugar maple in key buck travel locations on the property. Hard maple (sugar maple) is more dense than oak, Ash, etc. When the hardest trees in a buck travel corridor get rubbed, I almost always have a good buck on my hands.

I will do that. I've got a valley hidden from the road where the bucks cruise. One tore up one of my tree tubes last year. Had antler marks in it and tore it out of the ground. From what I've read on here sugar maple leaves are an overlooked food source for deer.

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:04 pm

Any advice for concolor fir trees that are losing some needles from the bottom but still growing? I planted them 3 years ago they were about 4ft tall and now are about 6ft now

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:09 am

trim some of the lower whirls and if they have tall grass around them you need to get that out of there. If its not getting enough air running through it and it has a allot of grass around them it creates a micro climate and retains too much moisture and humidity which can cause some fungal problems and cause some stress and possibly set them up for insect damage . sounds like you may have some needle cast as a result. just clean them up and see how that fairs for you. if you want to take it a little further treat them with this.
https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-a-pr ... pe-formula
This stuff is a miracle worker. I do tons of sick tree diagnosis from forests to yard trees and I've had some excellent results with this. As long as your not treating a ton of them its doable.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:23 am

Wow bigburner thanx a lot i will do that. I guess i shoulda have thought of that cause i do have tall grass growing around them. I thought it was odd that the trees were growing and looked great except the bottom part. So do u think there salvagable?

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:07 am

You will no longer have crowns to the ground but they should be ok. As long as the apical bud (the very tippy top ) of the tree isn't damaged in regards to a conifer it should be good. You'd be surprised how well they bounce back with a little TLC. Just make sure you make proper pruning cuts to facilitate proper healing. Check out this publication. I distribute it to allot of landowners.
http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht ... screen.pdf
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun May 01, 2016 6:58 am

Finished planting my last tree today. 350 total by hand. Have to come back in a couple weeks to spray round up around each tree from this year and last. I use an old stove pipe to go over the tree then spray a 3 foot circle to keep weed and grass competition at check.

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Sun May 01, 2016 1:01 pm

This will be on the verge of off topic but I have a four year old Ohio Buckeye tree that I have grown from the nut. It is in a pot on my deck but I need to find a good permanent spot for it. Some lucky spot in Michigan is going to be graced by this wonderful tree.

Go Bucks!

9pt

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun May 01, 2016 1:28 pm

9pt wrote:This will be on the verge of off topic but I have a four year old Ohio Buckeye tree that I have grown from the nut. It is in a pot on my deck but I need to find a good permanent spot for it. Some lucky spot in Michigan is going to be graced by this wonderful tree.

Go Bucks!

9pt

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That wouldn't go well in Ann arbor. More buck eye fans in southern Hillsdale county by the Ohio border. LOL

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”