Advice on soft/hard wood tree cuttings

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

Advice on soft/hard wood tree cuttings

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:27 am

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with getting tree cuttings to root?

We purchased a variety of different shrubs and trees for our property and none rooted. I am most likely to blame as I had some things come up that kept me from watering them consistently but even the ones we kept at our house failed. If anyone is experienced in this I'd greatly appreciate your input.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Re: Advice on soft/hard wood tree cuttings

Unread postby woodswalker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:19 am

When you say cuttings are you talking about a cut branch with no roots at all, just a stick? If that is the case I am not surprised they failed to grow. You just can't plant a stick without roots into the ground and expect it to grow. If you are talking about rooted seedlings you may have answered your own question. In order for seedlings to thrive and grow a good and deep root system they must be watered regularly. One trick is to get 5 gallon buckets and drill a small hole about 4 inches from the bottom so when you fill it with water the water will slowly run out to water the plant which should be planted in a bowl. When you plant a new tree or seedling the hole you dig should be twice the width of the root ball and the circumference of the outside of the hole should be built up so the seedling sits in the middle of a bowl. You can also ask a local nursery what you can put in the water or in the bowl to encourage root growth.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:36 am

I've planted thousands of trees but I've never planted a cutting. What I know about them is certain species work better. Another thing that will up your success is black plastic and a root hormone. There is a place that specializes in cuttings. Believe it's called Big Rock Trees. You can try a Google search.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:38 am

http://www.bigrocktrees.com/

This is it

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks Hawthorne, that's actually the place I purchased all my cutting from so I'll reach out to them. I'm pretty sure it's my fault they died so next year I will keep them at my house and plant them the following year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”