Waterhole for each wind?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

Waterhole for each wind?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:30 pm

My property sets up good for north and south , its a single long ridge. I'm looking to install a waterhole and wondering if you place one on each side of ridge to accommodate for different winds or just keep it to one water hole to add to the drawing power? Thoughts?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Waterhole for each wind?

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:27 pm

mattyq2402 wrote:My property sets up good for north and south , its a single long ridge. I'm looking to install a waterhole and wondering if you place one on each side of ridge to accommodate for different winds or just keep it to one water hole to add to the drawing power? Thoughts?

When I recommend water holes in hill country, i recommend them like a kill plot. they are close to bedding and where the bucks stage. I like to see semi-thick cover between bedding and the water hole. I don't think you need one for each wind. If there was a choice to be made, a water hole would likely go on the bedding that is for a warm south or southwest wind. Its not about having drawing power of "one" water source. its about having water at the staging area.

One thing I will add, I see a lot of guys set up water holes with poor planning, then there stuck with them unless they fill them in and start over. Put a lot of thought into exactly where it should go... You might want to post a topo here and show where your planning it, to get feed back before making your final decision.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 pm

This is why I always test with a temporary waterhole first before commiting to a full blown dug out/natural gas after hole. I use a kiddie pool, no digging when testing.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 am

You mentioned kiddie pool. I came across one in a state forest once. The set was good looking back. Leeward side during fall, and within feet of an overgrown clearcut for bedding.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:41 am

justdirtyfun wrote:You mentioned kiddie pool. I came across one in a state forest once. The set was good looking back. Leeward side during fall, and within feet of an overgrown clearcut for bedding.

I found a buried 5 gallon bucket water hole 2 years ago, It was pretty ingenious... they used a collection area somewhere uphill (not a spring, but surface collection) and ran a pipe underground into the bottom of the bucket. A game warden must have stumbled upon it because it was gone this spring.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 am

I don't know of any state where water is considered bait. There are things called guzzlers that they use out west to provide water for game in dry areas that collect rain water. Just google them and you can get plans.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:51 pm

woodswalker wrote:I don't know of any state where water is considered bait. There are things called guzzlers that they use out west to provide water for game in dry areas that collect rain water. Just google them and you can get plans.

I don't know about it being "bait", but generally speaking on public land it is illegal to put anything out for the deer or alter the land in any way no matter how small including the creation of a water hole unless the state says it is permitted. The last I knew putting a water hole on public land in PA was illegal so you may want to check into that if that is something you are considering and I know that in Michigan it has been and still is illegal.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:43 pm

QUOTE "I found a buried 5 gallon bucket water hole 2 years ago, It was pretty ingenious... they used a collection area somewhere uphill (not a spring, but surface collection) and ran a pipe underground into the bottom of the bucket. A game warden must have stumbled upon it because it was gone this spring".

You didn't say you found it on public land, that does make a big difference. Yes it is illegal to be digging holes or placing anything on State land in PA.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:45 am

Ya, sorry I wasn't clear on the public land part. Had it been private, I would have been the one to put it in :D
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”