Lost in the Sauce...

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KY_PublicHunter84

Lost in the Sauce...

Unread postby KY_PublicHunter84 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:31 am

I hunt in a hilly region in Kentucky, that being said, I feel like there are thousands of points that buck should be bedded down just in the small area that I hunt. I've been scouting this area for several weeks now without any luck. Can yall help me narrow down where I should be looking? I will upload a topo of the area, there is a south prevailing wind during hunting season. Thanks in advance for the help!

Well I'm not exactly sure how to add a picture to my post...

Uncle Lou

Re: Lost in the Sauce...

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:10 am

couple different ways to post a pic.
through the BEAST
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24807

Thru photobucket
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5754

Good luck posting it
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:42 am

It ain't easy in areas with lots of bedding options. Sometimes you are on the right point and simply miss the bed when you don't know exactly which couple of square feet it should be on. One time I had to scout the same small point 3 times before I saw the beds. I was about 20' too high in elevation the first times. But once you start finding how the beds are generally positioned you will usually walk to the spot on the point where they will be.

Since you know the prevailing wind the. I assume you are already focusing on the points setup for those winds. Also concentrate on the steeper points. And if you know how deer travel the hills, look for the points that are way away from most of the normal movement.

I could keep typing ideas but you just need to keep at it until you start finding beds. When you find them study them until you are confident you know exactly why that bed is there and that will help you find more.

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 am

I hunt southern Ohio, which is similar terrain. Here's what I've learned from the beast and in the field scouting.

1. Hill country beds are harder to see in general. They are not always worn to the dirt with a rub right in them. I pay more attention to terrain and security of the bed to help determine if it's a buck bed or not. Sometimes you're making an educated guess.
2. Look for obstacles just above the bed, downed trees, thickets, thick broads, mini bluffs, etc.
3. Most points that show up on the top are too big to be good hideouts. A lot of the better bedding I have found is on small spurs off a point or a main ridge.
4. I agree with PK too on steepness. The bed itself will almost always be on a relatively flat spot, even though it may be very small (size of the deer), but a lot of good bedding is right on the topside of a steep drop off, what Dan calls the "Military Crest"
5. Don't overlook secluded benches at the right elevation, they hold good bedding too.

Once you find a good bed take notes on the type of terrain and try and find similar terrain on future scouting trips. It also helps if you can mark the spot on phone or GPS to review afterwards to help reinforce what a good area with confirmed bedding looks like on the topo/aerial.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:33 am

Just walk the leeward ridges for your common wind. The spots that look best along the leeward will be the spots to concentrate on.
KY_PublicHunter84

Unread postby KY_PublicHunter84 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 am

I haven't had any luck posting pictures but I will definitely keep scouting with these tips in mind! Thanks a lot for the help and advice. I grew up rifle hunting my parents land in a box blind that has been in the same spot for 20 years. Needless to say, I'm in a completely different realm and greatly appreciate any advice you have for me.
KY_PublicHunter84

Unread postby KY_PublicHunter84 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 am

KY_PublicHunter84

Unread postby KY_PublicHunter84 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am

KY_PublicHunter84

Unread postby KY_PublicHunter84 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am

Finally got the pictures to work! Here are a couple areas I've been scouting for the last couple months just to give an idea of where I'm at.
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am

I can't get it to pull up on photobucket to actually draw on but I'm new to ky and the beast as well and have only been out in the field scouting 2 times this year. Using info i learned here i found for and buck beds on both locations there's tons of info in the forums. The search button is your friend but if you want more input send me a on and I will give you my number to text the pics and I can draw on them like that and send back to you
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:26 pm

KY_PublicHunter84 wrote:I hunt in a hilly region in Kentucky, that being said, I feel like there are thousands of points that buck should be bedded down just in the small area that I hunt. I've been scouting this area for several weeks now without any luck. Can yall help me narrow down where I should be looking? I will upload a topo of the area, there is a south prevailing wind during hunting season. Thanks in advance for the help!

Where about in KY are you? Maybe I can help a bit if your terrain is relatively close to mine. I can give you some examples. Over the years it's been tough for us too until we figured out how to find them.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:21 am

This is a comment that might not be explained well but can be helpful to find more defined bedding.

Mark the leeward side with a different color for all four winds. This is shown in the video's. Now forget hunting for a moment since you are learning scouting.

The least common color / bedding option will give you the best chance to see bedding first hand. Those points will hopefully have more rubs and more competition for them.
Even if that wind is rare you might be able to scout there after a day or two of that specific wind. Increasing the possibility of fresh sign.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 am

My post is honestly light on experience and heavy on theory. Maybe we can hear from others related to the idea.
The nice part about beast tactics is they all are based on deer activity not X food plot or Y scent. What deer do is what they do. It's not mysterious and unpredictable when they are moving about undisturbed.
When you said ky hills that can be a challenge. Dan specifically mentioned the rolling hills of ky as being difficult to nail down bedding. Good luck.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”