Attempting to find buck bedding on hill country

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Alexw241105
Facebook: Alex Welch

Attempting to find buck bedding on hill country

Unread postby Alexw241105 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:07 am

How's everyone's scouting going so far this year? I've walked one of the properties that I have permission to hunt and found a few buck beds (it's much easier to do now since I've been reading up on some of the post on here, plus religiously watching Dans videos,along with his dvds.). I'm heading down to Athens, Ohio to scout as well as clear trails for memorial weekend where we're having our family reunion this year. I could always find doe bedding there but I'm new to reading maps and I have a few spots in mind to go check out but if I can get help or other suggestions it'll help out.

gravebeforeshave80

Re: Attempting to find buck bedding on hill country

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:34 am

IM IN THE SAME SITIUATION AS YOU....IN TUSCARAWAS CO....RUGGED HUNTING FOR A FLAT LAND GUY LKE MYSELF
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 am

Must of missed this when you posted it... I would be concentrating on the leeward side. Whoever made the map was kind enough to put a shadow to give the impression of hills on those exact areas I would scout. Look at the top 1/3 of the shadowed (on the map you posted) ridges
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Im not a expert but from the areas of hill country i have scouted.

As far as ridges go.

Buck bedding can change slightly depending on the area. The great thing is once you find the height the bucks bed at in your area the rest of the beds in that area will be on that elevation.

In a few areas i have found beds lower near half way down the hill consistantly so if you arent finding beds at 1.3rd look slightly lower. Why in some areas they bed lower im not sure i think its a combination of wind and thermal along with how steep the slope is.

I remember i had a hard time finding beds when i started looking for them. Once you start finding them they become easier to find.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:40 am

dan wrote:Must of missed this when you posted it... I would be concentrating on the leeward side. Whoever made the map was kind enough to put a shadow to give the impression of hills on those exact areas I would scout. Look at the top 1/3 of the shadowed (on the map you posted) ridges

IM GUESSING YOU MISSED MINE AS WELL POSTED IN LAND MANAGEMENT
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
Huntzilla

Unread postby Huntzilla » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat lol finding these buck beds look easier on tv! Anyway, went out to the woods the other day and really didn't have the time I felt like I needed to find the beds. Gonna go back next week probably Tuesday and see if I can do a better job. Good luck this year!
Huntzillapodcast.com - Public Land Whitetails and Fitness - Find is on Facebook and Instagram

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”