Pool salt for mineral site?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Buck

Pool salt for mineral site?

Unread postby Southern Buck » Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 am

Been looking for cheap salt I can buy in bulk for my mineral sites. Anyone ever used pool salt? Says its high purity with no additives, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I purchased any.

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Findian
500 Club

Re: Pool salt for mineral site?

Unread postby Findian » Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 am

I use the 40 pound all natural water softener salt from Walmart. It's around 5 dollars. I think it works better then that trophy rock type mineral. I started useing that so the Black bears wouldn't take off with the blocks.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 am

I use trace mineral salt made for either cattle or horses. Typically it is $8-$10 per 50 lbs and I do 25 lbs per new site. So my mineral sites are about $4-5 each.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am

Ike is on to something. I don't believe using just salt actually gains the deer anything. Although cheap Ive never heard of it being very good for the deer

Around here when it was legal we used trace mineral salt, feeding lime, calcium(pretty sure this is what it was basically it had a different name though) , and some flavoring for smell. Just about any feed mill for cows/cattle should be able to mix this up for you pretty cheap. Or a farm and fleet type place should sell it by the 50# bag and you can mix your own.

Want to say it cost around .30 a pound from the feed mill mixed and bagged.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:55 am

You should be able to buy a 40 or 50# bag of salt from your local co-op for $3-5 a bag. A trace mineral salt is about the same range price and adds a tad bit of nutritional value.

If you're just looking for pictures, go with salt or trace minerals. If you're looking for something to help the deer herd, go with something with a high calcium content. Dicalcium phosphate is used both in antler growth and by lactating does. You can buy it by the bag and mix with salt, or you can buy a high graded cattle mineral and get much of the same. You can look at the tag on the mineral to see what kind of calcium breakdown it has.

Then use a box of baking soda(main ingredient in deer cane), koolaid, and/or powdered sugar for initial attraction to the lick.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am

thwack16 wrote:You should be able to buy a 40 or 50# bag of salt from your local co-op for $3-5 a bag. A trace mineral salt is about the same range price and adds a tad bit of nutritional value.

If you're just looking for pictures, go with salt or trace minerals. If you're looking for something to help the deer herd, go with something with a high calcium content. Dicalcium phosphate is used both in antler growth and by lactating does. You can buy it by the bag and mix with salt, or you can buy a high graded cattle mineral and get much of the same. You can look at the tag on the mineral to see what kind of calcium breakdown it has.

Then use a box of baking soda(main ingredient in deer cane),koolaid, and/or powdered sugar for initial attraction to the lick.

:L:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 am

I use softener salt as well. No breaking blocks in half for me anymore. Biggest drawback is rain will wash it away quicker than a block.

Works as good as anything I've ever used and I've tried multiple cattle blocks, flavored stuff you pay through the nose for, etc
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Tue May 23, 2017 12:04 pm

Lockdown wrote:I use softener salt as well. No breaking blocks in half for me anymore. Biggest drawback is rain will wash it away quicker than a block.

Works as good as anything I've ever used and I've tried multiple cattle blocks, flavored stuff you pay through the nose for, etc

Gonna have to give that a try. I already use the trace mineral blocks. Just looking for something to freshen up those sites without spending a fortune.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue May 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Southern Buck wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I use softener salt as well. No breaking blocks in half for me anymore. Biggest drawback is rain will wash it away quicker than a block.

Gonna have to give that a try. I already use the trace mineral blocks. Just looking for something to freshen up those sites without spending a fortune.

I still use big blocks at my easy access spots. That way I don't have to worry about keeping salt in front of my cam.

There's really no difference between blocks and solar, I just like being able to throw 10-15 pounds of solar salt in my trail cam backpack and go.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue May 23, 2017 7:16 pm

If I know I am going in exclusively to refresh mineral sites, I have done 50#'s of trace mineral salt in my backpack at once. I doubt I could carry the same weight in blocks due to the shape. I haven't really put much financial focus on enough cameras to justify doing multiple mineral sites this year though... I'm only running 2 cameras right now, so no mineral sites this year.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 am

I use Redmond trace mineral salt. Comes in 50 pound bags or blocks. Same thing as trophy rock and much, much cheaper.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 pm

50# bag mix and salt with 50# all purpose mineral under $15. 40/60 respectively works just fine
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:41 pm

[quote="bigwoodshuntn"]Ike is on to something. I don't believe using just salt actually gains the deer anything. Although cheap Ive never heard of it being very good for the deer

Around here when it was legal we used trace mineral salt, feeding lime, calcium(pretty sure this is what it was basically it had a different name though) , and some flavoring for smell. Just about any feed mill for cows/cattle should be able to mix this up for you pretty cheap. Or a farm and fleet type place should sell it by the 50# bag and you can mix your own.

Want to say it cost around .30 a pound from the feed mill mixed and bagged.[/quotrut

Bigwoodshunt- according to a cattle nutritionist I know has told me and I've heard this other than him. Water is used in a big part of digestion, especially in four chambered stomach like cattle and deer. Pure salt is feed to cattle to make them drink more. Witch helps break down food and gives more nutrients. Witch I sure you some what know this. I know nutritionist who worked for Purina, knew somewhat of there deer minerals and there study's on there deer farm, said that deer need the minerals early like right after the rut for few months to replace what is lost in the rut. and run salt through out the late spring summer months when vegetation food is in abundance, for more nutrients from digestion.

I have seen people run both mineral site and not far away put a salt site. They say don't mix the two together due to the salt killing out the mineral. So salt may not be so bad to have around at all at the right time, but the minreal is key to get him back to where he was before he ran himself to death, just my .02 worth!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”