Fertilizing small corn plot

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Fertilizing small corn plot

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:03 am

I don't think I ever mentioned it, but those of you who followed my journal last year knew about my landowner and friend, Oscar. Sadly he lost his battle with cancer. Before he passed he told me that he paid the neighbor to put his little food plot in his grove again. I got a call from the neighbor a month ago, and he said it's in, and all I have to do is spray and fertilize.

The corn is roundup ready, so no questions regarding spraying. He said to use a garden type fertilizer. I'm not a gardener and I've never dealt with a food plot in any way. The plot is probably 40 yds square so I'll spread it by hand. But what is the best fertilizer to use? I'm assuming I should spray and fertilize ASAP...

wmahunter
500 Club

Re: Fertilizing small corn plot

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:42 am

corn is like grass it likes super high Nitrogen. If you can find something with 21% nitrogen, put it between the rows. You will only have to do this twice.

Once when the plants are about 6 - 8 in high and again when they are about 3-4 ft high.

Otherwise I have used 10-10-10 for sweet corn, but had to apply it 3 times during its growing cycles. I have a 20 x 30 garden. I personally do not spray chemicals on corn. I used health food grade DE (powder) to control the worms and pollinated the plants by hand to get a some nice size ears of corn. It was a little extra work but I prefer it that way.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:08 pm

10-10-10 will work. I'd also recommend using a corn cultivator before the corn gets too tall. It will help with weeds and moisture.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:09 pm

x2 on the high nitrogen. Commercial ag farmers use anhydrous ammonia, with is basically liquid nitrogen. I'd look for something pelletized (easier applocation) with a high Nitrogen value.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 am

Buy a bag of Urea and broadcast between the rows to fertilize. It is very high in nitrogen. If the seed is Roundup inoculated, just walk down the rows with with the roundup and spray the weeds. Roundup will not prevent new weeds from coming back however so you should do it twice like was said earlier.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:14 am

Phosphorus is a key macro nutrient for rooting as well, as already mentioned Corn loves high Nitrogen. I'd hit it with a good shot of N&P the first application then focus more on the N for a follow up app.
The bigger question is how are you keeping the deer out of this plot before you plan on hunting it? A small corn plot won't last long I hate to say
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:40 am

Twenty Up wrote:Phosphorus is a key macro nutrient for rooting as well, as already mentioned Corn loves high Nitrogen. I'd hit it with a good shot of N&P the first application then focus more on the N for a follow up app.
The bigger question is how are you keeping the deer out of this plot before you plan on hunting it? A small corn plot won't last long I hate to say

It won't get decimated because this is big ag country. There's corn and beans everywhere.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:43 am

Urea right before a rain is the way to go. ;)
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”