Water placement

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Water placement

Unread postby OHBB24 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 am

I am second guessing my choice of waterhole placement this summer. I hunt November in hill country on private. My waterhole is set up on a old roadbed with a solid overhanging branch and vine. Last November I had numerous good bucks using this trail on off winds for some reason, specifically north and light and variable mixed with light north. I've hinged trees from bedding on point about 150 yards away in hopes to pull a big guy from his bed on way to check food source. The set up is for s,SE, and possibly a SW wind but it will be close on a sw.

My north wind setup makes more sense with the brushy south facing hillside and excellent regrowth from my previous years hinge cuts.

I know Dan says leaving beds deer are not defined in their DOT but wouldn't they prefer that solid thick route? My thought is cold fronts equal north winds and November that's what I bank on, should I remove the one for a south wind? Should I just add a second waterhole next summer or is two too many?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Water placement

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:57 am

OHBB24 wrote:I am second guessing my choice of waterhole placement this summer. I hunt November in hill country on private. My waterhole is set up on a old roadbed with a solid overhanging branch and vine. Last November I had numerous good bucks using this trail on off winds for some reason, specifically north and light and variable mixed with light north. I've hinged trees from bedding on point about 150 yards away in hopes to pull a big guy from his bed on way to check food source. The set up is for s,SE, and possibly a SW wind but it will be close on a sw.

My north wind setup makes more sense with the brushy south facing hillside and excellent regrowth from my previous years hinge cuts.

I know Dan says leaving beds deer are not defined in their DOT but wouldn't they prefer that solid thick route? My thought is cold fronts equal north winds and November that's what I bank on, should I remove the one for a south wind? Should I just add a second waterhole next summer or is two too many?

I will share a few thoughts. First, you mention an old roadbed... and to me that indicates a "bench." Look up one of my old threads titled, "The Power of a Bench." I have no idea what the height of your roadbed is and whether or not it is in a thermal tunnel when it is on the leeward side on any given day.

If you have proof of good buck travel with the winds you describe, don't fight it... go kill the bucks.

There are countless examples of mature bucks preferring heavy cover for travel... and they often do. But take it from me, don't overthink it and ruin your hunt. Some of the biggest bucks I have ever witnessed were not taking the route of heavy cover... even outside of the rut. If you have great evidence of buck travel in certain conditions, hunt it... don't overthink it like many of us have countless times.

And that is why we say bucks have general tendancies... but never do the same thing every time.

sb
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:01 am

Both sides run along benches, both at the 1/3 level. I guess the question is, does two waterhole take away from the draw power or should I have one for each setup.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 am

OHBB24 wrote:Both sides run along benches, both at the 1/3 level. I guess the question is, does two waterhole take away from the draw power or should I have one for each setup.

I dodn't totally understand your post... But, a water hole for each bedding area is not a bad idea. Exact location in referance to bedding is key, so it would be tough to have one work for two seperate bedding areas, but I have see it work on occasion.
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:25 pm

I have buck bedding at end of my point. I have a hinge corridor running on north side and south side of ridge from that point both in direction of main food source. I set up a water hole along the north hill, question is, if I place water on South side also, would two sources take away draw power of the one or should I have a water source on each side of the ridge to combat the wind?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 pm

OHBB24 wrote:I have buck bedding at end of my point. I have a hinge corridor running on north side and south side of ridge from that point both in direction of main food source. I set up a water hole along the north hill, question is, if I place water on South side also, would two sources take away draw power of the one or should I have a water source on each side of the ridge to combat the wind?

If its one bedding point I would have one water hole at the staging area closes to the bedding.
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:36 am

Ok, thanks Dan, I'll play it by ear this year. I live too far away from farm to switch it now. My best staging area appears to be on South slope

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”