Public Land help

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmn0341

Public Land help

Unread postby wmn0341 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:50 am

Hi all. I'm new here from South Carolina. I"m hunting in the northwest part of the state where it's not necessarily mountains, but get some varying degrees of elevation. I've been reading and listening to Dan's podcasts trying to learn more about hunting the beast style. This is a public land spot that I have yet to scout on foot yet, but was hoping I could get some tips on where to start looking. The wind is predominately out of the west/northwest. I have marked what I think could be good buck bedding areas in red on the map. The huntable area is outlined in black. There's a decent amount of creeks in the area for water and the main food source on this land is browse and acorns. There's some agriculture in the area, but not very close to this specific area. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Public Land help

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:39 am

wmn0341 wrote:Hi all. I'm new here from South Carolina. I"m hunting in the northwest part of the state where it's not necessarily mountains, but get some varying degrees of elevation. I've been reading and listening to Dan's podcasts trying to learn more about hunting the beast style. This is a public land spot that I have yet to scout on foot yet, but was hoping I could get some tips on where to start looking. The wind is predominately out of the west/northwest. I have marked what I think could be good buck bedding areas in red on the map. The huntable area is outlined in black. There's a decent amount of creeks in the area for water and the main food source on this land is browse and acorns. There's some agriculture in the area, but not very close to this specific area. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

The bed you marked the furthest north, the buck will likely bed just Northeast of that position on that shelf where it drops off sharply to the east below.

The bed you marked the furthest to the Southeast, the buck will be uphill from there and on the east side (with prevailing winds) right where you see that lobe that overlooks the sharp drop to the East.

Bridge
wmn0341

Unread postby wmn0341 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:16 am

Thank you. I'm learning how to read these topo's for deer and I thought I was pretty close to where I thought he'd be. Thank you for the insight.
Bowmet

Unread postby Bowmet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:13 pm

I hunt this WMA as well. I would blur out any distinguishable traits on maps you post of this WMA, it is heavily hunted and anyone who has scoured aerials of it would be able to recognize it in a heartbeat. I see that you did this with the road names, but those buildings are a no brainer. I saw a really good buck in this area last season. Happy to talk more about it. Plus, the northernmost bed is a good spot. I’ve been to all places you have marked, but the northern one would be best based on pressure. Two seasons ago, I found 4 lock on stands within close proximity to both southern beds you marked.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Looks like you found a friend!

In all seriousness it’s a small world and it’s better to trust your judgement than have a “perfectly” dissected piece displayed on a public forum.

With that being said... I’d check out the Northern & Northeastern section of the map. I feel the bedding will be more foliage/cover based than hills so-to-speak with pressure being the main determining factor.

Rolling hills like you’ve got there are difficult to pin point a specific bed... they’ll move along that leeward side all day.

Hope this helps and good luck
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:26 am

I feel like i have seen this map before...

The north spot where it is steepest looks good. Don’t think I would bother with much else unless there is some serious security cover and lack of pressure...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”