trouble in the Pines.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mstavely

trouble in the Pines.

Unread postby mstavely » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:22 am

Wind is prevailing from the NW across the farm. There is only an elevation change from 14ft on the south end to 15ft on the north end so basically flat as a board. The pines are mostly mature with little to no undergrowth ( random maples here and there) . The lighter color trees are mixed hardwoods that make fingers around the pines. Have had bucks cruising the transition zones through the hardwoods at the edge of pines. But being able to find solid bedding as been hard. This year is my first year of trying to completely change my hunting tactics to hunting bedding etc. I have always set up on the edge habitat and had luck but only a few encounters with mature big bucks. If anyone has hunted habitat like this or has any suggestions it seems like they can bed anywhere in the pines with the knobs in and around. I have also hunted in the pines and had does wondering through. In some of the pines i have found what seemed to be random beds here and there. Also to the south on the red parcel line there is a creek that runs the length of the property. If anyone has any ideas i would love the input thanks in advance.

http://thehuntingbeast.com/copper/displ ... fullsize=1

mstavely

Re: trouble in the Pines.

Unread postby mstavely » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 am

One more pic with a few things drawn in.

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/displ ... fullsize=1
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am

On that property, I would expect mature bucks to bed in the pines on the down wind edge looking out. The rookie mistake would be to walk the edge and set up where sign goes in and out, but if the buck is bedded there, the wind is in your face and the buck sees you. You gotta set up beyond site to kill them.
mstavely

Unread postby mstavely » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks Dan! I have been listening to a lot of your stuff.I am learning a lot.. I was making the rookie mistake I would walk the hardwood fingers find rubs scrapes etc going into the pines I figured they were bedded in there so I would set up on the outside. The last two years where there is the hardwoods that go around the pines I set up right where the hardwoods start to go east and west and have always had bucks cruising through that corne rut. Is there any way you could draw on my map possibly where you were talking about on the down wind edge. Are the bucks in the pines looking. Out to the hardwoods and see me walking them? So I should get in the pines on the other side of the hardwoods. I watched your q&a today do you think they bed near those fields watching us come back that lane that runs through the farm.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:06 pm

I marked where I would suspect bucks to bed. Somewhere along the pink lines. Knowing the bedding tendency should help you keep from walking up the open areas to within site of them and setting up. Finding sign coming out of the thick edge and setting up on it is a good thing, but think about access, and where you can get to and set up out of site. For instance, in spring, I like to find the beds, and sit there and see how far they can see, hear, and what they can smell, and pick accesses and trees. At this time of year I would walk the transition and find the sign guess on bedding, and pick a tree and access and assume I was seen, and come back on a later day. I would want to do that as soon as possible and then let it cool down for a while.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”