Need some help from the hill hunters

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwzimmer

Need some help from the hill hunters

Unread postby jwzimmer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 am

I'm planning a rut backpack hunt in a area totally new to me. I'm normally a swamp hunter but would like to try my hand at the hills. I have marked the only public access to the property in blue as well as some obvious saddles. To give you and idea of the scale size the red boundary is around 1100 acres. With the predominate wind being NW during the time of the year I'm planning this trip I'm thinking I should be hunting the southeastern side of the ridges. I'm looking for some more experienced hill hunters to chime in on how they would hunt this property if you where backpacking in for 4 days. :think:
See topo and sat images below.

John Zimmerman <><
Thunder Stick III 50#@29"
jwzimmer

Re: Need some help from the hill hunters

Unread postby jwzimmer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:36 am

70 Looks and no takers...
John Zimmerman <><
Thunder Stick III 50#@29"
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 am

I'm a noob... but I would say if the predominate wind is NW, go in and speed scout the whole thing from west to east and pick where you want to spend the rest of your time based on sign. Hopefully some people with more experience than me chime in. Good luck!
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:16 pm

I think you are on the right track with those saddles. I especially like the second one from the left you have marked. I would drop over the hill a little on the leeward side of these saddles depending on the wind hunting just at the top of the deep cut. Also, if these woods are open timber and it being a rut hunt I would hunt from the ground and not worry about a stand if it allows for it. Going in blind it makes for a lot faster adjustment for fast action rut activity. The bucks are less cautious and this will help maximize your odds if an move needs to be made. I have shot several bucks like this after moving in range to where a buck was trailing a doe. Within minutes other bucks were following.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 am

I like that saddle you picked out above "MTN" and I also like the saddle southeast of the last "n" in mountain. Fairly close to your access point, looks pretty steep to the south of it with a draw coming up pretty close to it. With a NW wind you could set up somewhere between the top of that draw and the saddle.
You may check out Land and Legacy's latest podcast (on their website or FB so you can view the topo map they go over) to get some more ideas, if no one else chimes in. Good luck.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 am

I like a steep draw leading to saddle... really bottle necks the movement. But pressure and cover also come into play for a shooter buck. Also remember that the more "points" on the high spots between a saddle the more likely bedding opportunity. That is what u want... to be positioned between bedding zones when the bucks are on the move... here in WI this really picks up Nov 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”