Property input

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tater

Property input

Unread postby Tater » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 am

Hey guys,

I am looking for some input on a piece I scouted a couple weeks ago. I have had permission to hunt right of the red line for a while, and I know good bucks move thru it, but typically most trail cam activity I see is after dark. My cameras have always been in or near the chunk of woods in years past.

I just got permission to hunt the area of ditch that lies left of the red line a few weeks ago. I know from a few sightings and experiences that bucks bed out along that remote portion of the ditch. So I am looking to try some beast tactics to get a bit closer to where they bed and hope to catch them on their feet before dark.

Purple = doe beds

Blue = buck beds

Yellow = prior years stands or numbered to try this season

Assuming this map is oriented with N being up, the prevailing wind would be SW, I can approach from the N or the E for sure, but may be able to gain access for approach in other directions if needed. I am wondering if I should start further away and work my way in (1,2,3,4) or if I should go for broke and try location 3 or 4 to start. Shots will likely be in the cover for locations 2,3,4 as there was a lot of sign that they are walking down in the creekbed or just on the bank. Location 1 I am assuming the shot would be out in the grass filter strip between the ditch and corn.

The 3 buck beds that are clustered on that little outside corner looked to be the preferred bedding, there is a slight rise in that area the gives them a good vantage point. The Beast style of hunting is somewhat new to me, so if you see something that stands out, or think different stands would be better on certain winds based on how you see a buck utilizing the bedding areas or moving along that ditch feel free to offer your thoughts.

Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
AJB

Re: Property input

Unread postby AJB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Looks like a good area to set up an observation and see what the deer are doing.
Greenbriar

Unread postby Greenbriar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:09 am

I can only dream about that much ag so I'm commenting mostly so I'm subscribed to read from others.

I'd be inclined to do an observation from #1 first, though you may have tried that in years past. However, I'd be more apt to be on the N side of the creek so my (prevailing) scent didn't follow the tree line down that transition to the woodlot. Those (grass?) ditches that fork SE might also be a good ground observation points, with a NW wind entering from the E seems low intrusion.
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Greenbriar wrote:Those (grass?) ditches that fork SE might also be a good ground observation points, with a NW wind entering from the E seems low intrusion.

Yeah those are like little drainage swales in the low spots of fields where they drain to the ditch. Did you mean sit that swale whole corn is up or when its off? I feel like i would be awefully out im the open once the orn is off, and wouldnt be able to see much while corn is still up.
Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 pm

I would put my stand 1 on the opposite side of the drainage on the drainage bend. It gives u more room for error with the wind! I would take a crack at close to bedding once early, then stay out until the rut seeking starts. Eithier that or place a camera in it and stay out all year and use the intell for the following season.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Greenbriar

Unread postby Greenbriar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:57 pm

Tater wrote:
Greenbriar wrote:Did you mean sit that swale whole corn is up or when its off? I feel like i would be awefully out im the open once the orn is off, and wouldnt be able to see much while corn is still up.

Yea, I was thinking while the corn is up. Assuming your season hadn't started yet I thought it might give you an observation spot out of the scent stream. If it doesn't offer a view though I'd skip it. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”