Farm work leads to scouting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

medicsnoke

Farm work leads to scouting

Unread postby medicsnoke » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Last fall I had a pond put in. It filled a few times this past summer and flowed over the spillway box but for the most part it stayed down about 4 foot. The last 2 days the builder came back with his mini-excavator and I rented a dozer to fix the area we could tell was leaking.

I had a dozer rented for 2 days (16 hours) and it had a few hours left (once the pond was finished) so I decided to pull out a few tree's that fell since the logging last summer. I knew of 3 good trees that would net around 1k if I could get them out. But they were all pretty deep in the timber and on steep hill sides. I hated going in after these trees but they have value and the only way I would get them out was with that dozer......so today it was.

As we were cutting one of the trees, I was amazed at the deer sign. It's a great acorn flat and after we finished up I figured the damage was done and thought I'de check the area out a little more. Just a few more yards past where we were working, I found a spring coming out of the hillside that I never knew was there. I dug it out and made a little retention pond, then I remembered I had a trail camera on the ranger that I was trying to find a spot for today.... so I slapped it on the closest tree. I really think I may have found a honey hole. I'll slide back in and check that cam in a week or so. I would love to see the deer I call Red using that water hole. It's right in his core area and would expect to see him fist pull but I haven't seen him since mid July and fear he got the EHD. Only time will tell.

Booners Acres of Ohio
llcooljames

Re: Farm work leads to scouting

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:30 am

Thats pretty cool, nothing like a natural water source on a hill side. Id think about giving that camera more than a week though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”