Apple tree project unleashed

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Apple tree project unleashed

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 am

So in oct of 2012 I planted 10 Apple trees , all different. Only 8 lived and I have kept them completely fenced in by about 8 foot of fencing. This gun season with the help of my brother we took down the fence as I feel it’s time to let the Deer at them this next year . The trees were 6-8 feet tall when I planted them. Some have grown more than others but they are looking nice. I’m hoping to add more but haven’t had the time. This time around il just fence each tree separately . Every year I’ve kept the apples off so more energy goes into the tree and not the apples, not sure that’s the right way but that’s why I did. I’d like to get a chestnut tree stand going soon also

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Apple tree project unleashed

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:56 am

I did the same in 2012 or 2013. I planted 15 Apple and pears. Been trimming and knocking fruit off so far. Maybe next year I'll see what they do on their own. Apple trees are definitely a LONG term investment and return.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:00 am

Tim did you trim any of them? I know common wisdom says you should trim them but I know a guy who planted like 50 apple trees one year, trimmed a bunch but not all of them. He said that the trees he never trimmed seemed to do better and produce more over the long haul. Just wondering what your experience was.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 am

Headgear, I have NOT trimmed any of them yet. I’ve been told I should but I don’t feel they should be yet so I have been waiting
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am

tim if you get apples this year that's all that matters. If you're not getting what you want out of them then the book "The Apple Grower" by Michael Phillips is a great read. Goes in to good detail on where and why to cut (with drawings), fert, undergrowth, etc. I followed the basics in there and have apples good enough to eat (but I leave them for the deer).
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am

Post some pics Tim. I started an orchard last year. I will have about 24 trees when I'm done. It will be a mix of Enterprise, Freedom, Liberty, Arkansas Black and Wolf River. I'm also going to add Pear trees.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Haus86 if I remember next time I’m up il take some pics. My wolf river died on me. I spaced them 15 feet all the way around each other. When I add more I will do single tree cages and replace the 2 that died. When I planted them I mixed with all different types so there are apples early and late. I also have a huge old apple tree real close but it needs major trimming
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks odh that’s good to know
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 pm

I did apple trees and peach trees two years ago. I have one apple tree that made it! but it is about 12' tall now and looking really good. Deerslayer put some good pruning stuff out in another thread somewhere. He also explained to me that mulch and trees is not a good combo! Killed my others in Days root rot. Roots need to breathe apparently!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 am

Here is a guy on Midwest Whitetail who is an Apple expert. He gives some good info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FIXWSIdXlA
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 am

Anyone that has read my posts over the past couple years, knows I love apple trees! :D

What are your goals with them? Deer love them. Big bucks love them...but very rarely show in daylight unless they are in the right spots.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 am

Mainebowhunter I planted them for another Deer foodsource. They are in a spot where the deer will take advantage of them at night most likely. I love planting stuff and watching it grow
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 am

tim wrote:Mainebowhunter I planted them for another Deer foodsource. They are in a spot where the deer will take advantage of them at night most likely. I love planting stuff and watching it grow

Sounds like you should move to Colorado :P
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
boldlygo

Unread postby boldlygo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 am

Last spring I planted (among other things) 5 apple trees from Stark Bros. 2 were Northern Spy, 3 were Golden Delicious. They were semi-dwarf, and came in at about 4' tall. Unfortunately they did not get the light I thought they would and also suffered from the cedar apple rust. I am hoping they get more light this season (I took a few other trees down) and spur new growth to at least stay alive through the rust. I am ordering 10 Dolgo Crabapple seedlings next (Sandusky Valley Nursery).
“A grindstone that had not grit in it, how long would it take to sharpen an ax? And affairs that had not grit in them, how long would they take to make a man?”

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”