what areas to key in on. maps attached

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck56

what areas to key in on. maps attached

Unread postby Buck56 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:39 pm

figured i would post this in the appropriate section. just wanted to get some advice on where folks my focus in on from a topo and aerial. any help is much appreciated

Blue Ridge

Re: what areas to key in on. maps attached

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 am

Do you want comments on the whole map(s) or just what lies within the colored boundary? Probably should also include prevailing wind(s).
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 am

Will this be a rut cruising hunt, a bed hunt, or late season hunt?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Buck56

Unread postby Buck56 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:57 pm

thanks for the follow up. prevailing winds are NW. I can only hunt inside the boundaries of the colored lines. this hunt would take place first week of November. usually heavy rut activity during that time. thanks
Buck56

Unread postby Buck56 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:49 pm

will sometimes get winds out of W an SW also
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 am

One that sticks out pretty good to me is the obvious saddle in the lower left corner. It also has some other terrain features around it to catch those cruising bucks. I would give it a good look around for sign.
Buck56

Unread postby Buck56 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:30 am

that saddle area is probally the thickest area also. much more vegatation and undergrowt. then to the north it flatten outs an goes into that field at top of ridge. there are some ponds on the edge of that field also. the fields gets hunted by another group so not sure how that will impact things. as far as hunting the saddle, i could access from below but its pretty steep an nosiy doing so, or i could walk old logging road that runs on top of ridge an access it from the south, would put me at about a mile walk, but it be easy walking and much more quiet
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:47 am

Another good spot to look at is the small strip of woods next to the road on the upper right section. This section would act as a natural funnel between the two big chunks of land.
You mentioned the saddle has thick cover? This is good, bucks like cover and dont step into the open very much. The thicker the better. I have a saddle that looks similar and is thick. The sign dont lie in there. Old sign and new sign from mature bucks using it. Rubs in this saddle chest high in some spots.
Only way to know though is to walk it down. Sign dont lie especially when you see old and new. Sometimes little features dont show on maps and also food sources aren't shown either. If this area was logged in the last 50 years which I'm betting it has then there should be some old logging roads running those hills. Look for spots thick on top with a logging road that serves as a bench. They love this feature in hill country.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”