Prescribed burn

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Paca

Prescribed burn

Unread postby Paca » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:13 pm

ImageImage
I try to burn about 25 acres every year, here’s a couple pics. Wildlife loves the burns!

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Prescribed burn

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Nice. My dad does some small plots on his yard that abuts a prairie. It's amazing how quick it greens up and how lush everything is. I bet the deer love those fresh greens.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Fri May 03, 2019 4:45 am

One of the nest things you can do to your hunting ground
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri May 03, 2019 5:37 am

That's a big part of what I do for a living. Fires a wonderful servant but a terrible master.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Sat May 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Bigburner wrote:That's a big part of what I do for a living. Fires a wonderful servant but a terrible master.

That’s cool are you a firefighter or do u start them instead? We are definitely amateurs, so we only play in light winds. Our firebreaks are 30’ sometimes, but it’s good piece of mind. Haha
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat May 04, 2019 1:05 pm

8-)

Looks like fun. Have you ever had a fire get away from you?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 pm

That has to get the attention of the local volunteer FD and neighbors. Do you have to let them know what you’re doing?
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Sat May 04, 2019 11:50 pm

I inform the sheriffs dispatch office before the burn. Any call to the fd goes through them. There was 2 other significant burns going near us when we lit up. These burns are becoming more common around us. I noticed one truck came to the end of our dead end road to check things out. On clear day the smoke is visible from several miles.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am

Paca wrote:
Bigburner wrote:That's a big part of what I do for a living. Fires a wonderful servant but a terrible master.

That’s cool are you a firefighter or do u start them instead? We are definitely amateurs, so we only play in light winds. Our firebreaks are 30’ sometimes, but it’s good piece of mind. Haha

A forester/ wildland firefighter/fire management officer for a state forestry agency. I burn a lot of public and private lands. Its lots of hats but as far as those breaks its nice to have them wide for sure. I wish I had that luxury all the time. its a cool process to get familiar with and taking it slow in your case is a wise decision plus backing a fire into the wind is way better overall for positive fire effects bc the fire has more residence time on the ground to get the maximum benefit. if it flashes over really quick in the case of a head fire (wind driven/topography driven) its not doing much except maybe having you question your decision if you lit it on the upwind side or at the bottom of a hill. we try and avoid excitement anytime putting fire on the ground. :lol:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 pm

It’s amazing to see a heading fire with a little breeze when burning 6’ switchgrass.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”