No trespassing signs

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

No trespassing signs

Unread postby SEOHBB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:40 am

What's your go to sign on private property? Is an electronic surveillance warning an invite or a deterrent for trespassers and thieves? Any links for what u guys use?

backstraps

Re: No trespassing signs

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:55 am

I use the typical yellow No Trespassing sign with my number on the bottom. The typical thing normally happens to them too....hahahaha they get taken down, shot, and trespassers do what they always do :doh:
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:01 am

What does your state require for marking private land? That’s the real question.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:34 am

SEOHBB wrote:What's your go to sign on private property? Is an electronic surveillance warning an invite or a deterrent for trespassers and thieves? Any links for what u guys use?

Knock on wood we don't have alot of issues with tresspassing. Had zero issues at our camp in SE Ohio and have only had limited issues at our place in PA. Used to have a real issue in PA with ATV trespass. Fortunately the kids moved out of the neighborhood.

I just use the simple no tresspassing signs that you buy at the store. I usually get the ones that are a little better than the yellow ones as they seem to last longer. Used button caps to hook them to the tree. I don't put a ton of them out, but put them in likely areas that people would be walking.
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:23 am

I'm in SE Ohio on a large 2000 acre block. I'm on 65 acres that's family owned, neighbors on all sides of the block all know each other. Recently found out three stands were stolen on the hardest property to access which borders mine. Last August I had three cams stolen from my piece, one was a spartan cell cam. I'm just curious if anyone has tricks or reccomendations. I'm out west so cant do much policing from here. "I'm a cop and I will prosecute" seem like a dare? Most locals know that's what I do, maybe if it's written on there it would deter????
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:05 am

SEOHBB wrote:I'm in SE Ohio on a large 2000 acre block. I'm on 65 acres that's family owned, neighbors on all sides of the block all know each other. Recently found out three stands were stolen on the hardest property to access which borders mine. Last August I had three cams stolen from my piece, one was a spartan cell cam. I'm just curious if anyone has tricks or reccomendations. I'm out west so cant do much policing from here. "I'm a cop and I will prosecute" seem like a dare? Most locals know that's what I do, maybe if it's written on there it would deter????

If that is going on likely nothing you can to deter them as they will likely know what is going on. Only way to stop them is to catch them (get pics) and prosecute them. Not easy to do if you are that far away. Are you sure it isn't one of the neighbors?
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 am

Got one neighbor who is 35 and still lives with mommy. Hes into meth and heroin so hes my suspicion. Cant imagine he'd be selling tree stands to get his fix. Dope addicts do steal stuff but more along the lines of appliances, yards equipment, etc.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:36 am

SEOHBB wrote:Got one neighbor who is 35 and still lives with mommy. Hes into meth and heroin so hes my suspicion. Cant imagine he'd be selling tree stands to get his fix. Dope addicts do steal stuff but more along the lines of appliances, yards equipment, etc.

Such a shame the amount of people addicted to that stuff. Bad thing is with him living there he would be very hard to catch as he knows your routine I am sure. If I was going to try though, I would get a game camera that didn't work and put in a conspicuous spot. Or perhaps a treestand? Then put a good game camera up high somewhere so he isn't likely to see it.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 am

SEOHBB wrote:I'm in SE Ohio on a large 2000 acre block. I'm on 65 acres that's family owned, neighbors on all sides of the block all know each other. Recently found out three stands were stolen on the hardest property to access which borders mine. Last August I had three cams stolen from my piece, one was a spartan cell cam. I'm just curious if anyone has tricks or reccomendations. I'm out west so cant do much policing from here. "I'm a cop and I will prosecute" seem like a dare? Most locals know that's what I do, maybe if it's written on there it would deter????

Sad situation

I know from experience (especially in SE Ohio). Once the locals AND neighbors know your from out of town and sometimes your schedule, then you’re at the mercy of people being honest.

Thats where I lost signs, cameras, sticks, stands, and anything that wasn’t permanently attached to the ground!!

Neighbors told me they had their suspicions of who.... but I couldn't hide cameras well enough to get pictures or to prevent them from being stolen!!

Thankfully where I am now, up there, I have been very fortunate
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Read the recreational trespass law for your state. Has guidelines on the size the letters need to be and how it needs to be posted. That way if a person is caught after disregarding the sign they can be charged. Typically a 30 day misdemeanor
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:13 am

The spartan trail cam should have GPS tracking? It works off cell phone tech. Anywho, I think surveillance scares thieves the most... But nothing is full proof. The best thing you can do is catch a tresspasser and prosecute even when he seems to have good excuses. Don't they all? Word well get out fast in the low life community that you mean business. I would also put out a lot of signs, flood the borders so there is no "didn't see the sign" excuse.

Over ther years I have hunted property where they prosecute everyone, and where they just yell and tell you to stay off... Over all nothing stops trespassing 100% but you see the same guys, same group over and over get caught on the properties that don't punish... As a cop Im sure you see the same criminals get caught over and over when some nancy judge keeps slapping there wrist and ;letting them go.

Another thing that works well is to tell your neighbors that if they need to track a deer onto your property that they need to call you 1st, and that you will do the same if you shoot one and it runs on there property. Tell them it does not matter what day or time it is, if I don't answer leave a message. It don't hurt to add your number and a call before entering note on your signs too. In a lot of cases I think you would be surprised that it may be friends or invited guests hunting your neighbors that you like that cause the issues.

Keeping your broken trail cams and setting them up where they are very visible with a hidden camera watching them is a useful trick too, as long as thought to where it needs to be to get a quality pic of the bad guy(s) is used. If there is a certain entrance onto your property like a trail or break in a fence, a cam just designed to catch trespassers is a good tool.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:04 am

Il give 2 examples. I walked into the Amish crop field with photo in hand of the kids trespassing and told the dad it’s gotta stop. Second time another Amish kid from another family ....I walked right to a treestand he was in while hunting and told him I better not catch him on my land or get anymore pics of him or find anymore arrows that fell out of his quiver.... it’s been a long time now..... also I number all my trailcams( with much higher numbers than I really have) and keep highly visible trailcams bear certain property lines
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Not sure how successful this is, but this is a local WV property.
DSC00841.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Slinghunter1974
Facebook: Troy M Bowie

Unread postby Slinghunter1974 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:24 am

It may, but trespassing many times goes with poaching. We all know the characters that do all that are on the wrong side of the law to begin with. I just wonder if a criminal may see it as a way to "get to a cop"!? Unfortunately I think we've all seen the pattern where it seems like a lot of folks not only disrespect police, but they're downright hateful to you guys at times! I know this is about trespassing and not social issues so I'll stop there. Anyhow, thanks for putting yourself at risk daily, while attempting to clean up our streets! You guys certainly don't get enough credit or appreciation.
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Appreciate the words, only 10 more years to go. I never broadcast it back home what I do and only have a small circle of buddies I keep in touch with so I'm guessing folks dont know for the most part. Being on the Arizona border really makes it tough not being able to keep tabs on things. I look at some of the guys I grew up with and their trespassing behaviors they carried, they were horrible! Funny now that they are landowners the cycle is repeating itself with them the victim. I can only imagine there are tens out there running all over all the time. I've been pretty fortunate until this last year which brought me to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”