Big timber state land

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dcella

Big timber state land

Unread postby Dcella » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Everything you see on this map is all state land and the nearest road is over a mile away from the top of the mountain on either side. Need help picking this apart to not waste time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ranger Matthews

Re: Big timber state land

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:58 pm

Have fun! I hunt one county that is 6000 square miles and has a population of a little over 2000 people. You can hunt almost the entire county so I can relate. Your topo map only shows part of what is going on. Look for water. Lakes, streams, and swamps all have obvious transition areas that breakup big blocks of timber. These wetter areas show trails better and the trees that grow in these areas are often softer trees the deer will often rub on. If you are going to have oaks they will be on the top of the ridges. If you can find a secluded apple tree you found a gold mine! You will be amazed about what the deer will browse on. Look for logging in the area and pay particular attention to openings in the forest canopy because these smaller area of browse are a big woods food plot. The deer live a different life in the big woods. You are not going to see the amount of sign but it almost becomes more important. Scrapes can be extremely important areas of communication for the deer. My experience is that it is difficult to put together a bed to food pattern and the big bucks are very nomadic. The bucks however will use the exact same trails year to year. Its going to take time but if you concentrate on transitions associated with water you can start breaking it down. And like the saying goes "how do you eat an elephant?". One bite at a time!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:33 am

That looks like home to me :D

Focus on the military crests and especially the ones on a point. Knobs and skinny points are what I find to be best. If you can find that and combine it with a cover transition it should up your odds. Access will be the most critical part. You wont be able to walk straight to where you want to go from the bottom, that stuff is steep. And usually you cant just follow the ridgeline down because theyll bed in a spot to bust you. You're going to have to walk it in the off season. But you can attempt to hunt it blind if you have no option.

If you want it marked up, pm me. I wont post it publicly. An aerial would help too.
Dcella

Unread postby Dcella » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:48 am

RidgeGhost wrote:That looks like home to me :D

Focus on the military crests and especially the ones on a point. Knobs and skinny points are what I find to be best. If you can find that and combine it with a cover transition it should up your odds. Access will be the most critical part. You wont be able to walk straight to where you want to go from the bottom, that stuff is steep. And usually you cant just follow the ridgeline down because theyll bed in a spot to bust you. You're going to have to walk it in the off season. But you can attempt to hunt it blind if you have no option.

If you want it marked up, pm me. I wont post it publicly. An aerial would help too.

Yes I would like to see it marked as I am not to keen on knowing how to pick this apart. The aerial you want is provided
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Look at the points of the ridges. There’s some pretty obvious bedding points on your map. Look back at some post hill country posts/threads. The answers are right there for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”