Can’t wait to hunt.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dcella

Can’t wait to hunt.

Unread postby Dcella » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:05 pm

So I scoured this piece of property Tuesday. The RED is deer runways. I need to know which is a better option for hunting and why?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Can’t wait to hunt.

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 am

I'm​ in for answers.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 am

I love hunting saddles which is what the trails to the east are moving through. Assuming you have a predominate west wind, you could slip in across the ridge from the east and drop down into the saddle to hunt and be downwind of the deer the whole time. Depending on whether the deer are moving through that from the north or south would determine which side of saddle I'd setup on and then I would pick a tree far enough from the trail that the thermals wouldn't screw me up when they switch.

That saddle would also be an excellent spot to put a cam or two and if there is any type of buck sign, I'd consider doing an all day sit there when the rut heats up.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:15 am

xpauliber wrote:I love hunting saddles which is what the trails to the east are moving through. Assuming you have a predominate west wind, you could slip in across the ridge from the east and drop down into the saddle to hunt and be downwind of the deer the whole time. Depending on whether the deer are moving through that from the north or south would determine which side of saddle I'd setup on and then I would pick a tree far enough from the trail that the thermals wouldn't screw me up when they switch.

That saddle would also be an excellent spot to put a cam or two and if there is any type of buck sign, I'd consider doing an all day sit there when the rut heats up.

My thought was that the saddle would have more / all the deer moving through it.

The steep point (above the red line to the west) may hold the buck bedding though? The beds likely being located off the west tip or around to the north or south which they would bed on a leeward wind?
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:13 am

Huntress13 wrote:
xpauliber wrote:I love hunting saddles which is what the trails to the east are moving through. Assuming you have a predominate west wind, you could slip in across the ridge from the east and drop down into the saddle to hunt and be downwind of the deer the whole time. Depending on whether the deer are moving through that from the north or south would determine which side of saddle I'd setup on and then I would pick a tree far enough from the trail that the thermals wouldn't screw me up when they switch.

My thought was that the saddle would have more / all the deer moving through it.

The steep point (above the red line to the west) may hold the buck bedding though? The beds likely being located off the west tip or around to the north or south which they would bed on a leeward wind?

They wouldn't be bedded on the west tip unless they had an east wind which is possible though. That point likely does have bedding because the deer could move around it and adjust to the wind but it makes finding the beds a lot harder because they aren't using the same piece of dirt each time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Downwind of where they converge. In some sort of little pinch.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:01 pm

If you look both runs are following terrain funnels leading into the bench near ‘2800’.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:15 am

I have found good bedding around here on little spurs like the ones below the saddle and above where the trails would meet.
It would most likely be on a northern wind.
Hunting it would take some creativity to access.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”