Tree protection- what’s cheap and effective?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Tree protection- what’s cheap and effective?

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:03 am

So I am planting 300 trees and shrubs this coming spring. To give you an idea of deer browsing pressure ( if you cut down a balsam tree after mid October they eat it) so it’s pretty bad.. maybe extremely bad.

I’v planted a few fruit trees yrs ago and a couple viburnums but didn’t pay attention to fence pricing because it wasn’t a lot. Now that I’m going to need a ton of it I’m trying to find what will work and at a low cost. Also going to need to protect from mice and rabbits on some. I can’t find much good info about where to get fencing and what to get.. as far as info on how to
Do it, there’s tons of info and it varies widely..

I’m planning on maybe a dz wild crabs and plumb trees. Then some mountain ash, stag horn sumac, nannyberry, round lead dogwood, red osier dogwood, and Norway spruce. I imagine I’ll have to fence pert near everything the first few years..

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: Tree protection- what’s cheap and effective?

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:10 am

I use 4ft metal fencing made into approximately 12" circles fastened to 1 t-post held 1ft above the ground so 5ft to top of cage. This is for fruit trees, you can then mow under fence, pull weeds, or spray. Also have the rodent barrier on the trunk. This is for fruit trees and has worked well. You shouldn't have to fence spruce. I'd assume could do something similar to shrubs, best would be to start lowering the deer population. The most cost are the posts, could make them from small trees too just have to replace as they rot.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:20 am

I use 5 ft high welded wired with two t posts. I’ll use 16ft around fruit trees. Trunks have a few feet of window screen slightly buried and stapled shut to protect from voles and rabbits. Spend the extra money to protect your trees and don’t cut corners.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 pm

https://www.deerbusters.com/poly-deer-f ... -80-round/

I was looking at this plastic fencing. I think it would be just as effective as the metal. It’s cheaper but I don’t think it would be considered cutting corners. However I’m just guessing here. Maybe there’s a downfall.

Anyone have any experience with it?
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:57 pm

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:https://www.deerbusters.com/poly-deer-fence/tenax-c-flex-deer-fence-reduced-visibility/heavy-duty-c-flex/6-x-330-heavy-duty-c-flex-80-round/

I was looking at this plastic fencing. I think it would be just as effective as the metal. It’s cheaper but I don’t think it would be considered cutting corners. However I’m just guessing here. Maybe there’s a downfall.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Plastic fence needs more support to hold it in place. In my scenarios I hold the metal welded fence in place with 1 post. Plastic to surround anything it's a minimum of 3.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:08 am

Plastic fence needs more support to hold it in place. In my scenarios I hold the metal welded fence in place with 1 post. Plastic to surround anything it's a minimum of 3.[/quote]

Ahhh makes sense. Didn’t think of that.. metal it is then. Easier and I guess I can keep it around forever. I’m sure I’ll plant more trees in the future.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:25 am

For fruit trees use 4-5’ welded wire, T-posts and window screen around the trunk.

For dogwood bare root shrubs use 4’ chicken wire and use 1/2” rebar stakes weaved through the chicken wire to support it. I bought 10’ rebar from Menards and cut them in half with a large bolt cutter. If you’re planning on protecting all 300 that’s the most cost effective way I’ve found. I did 75 cages this way last spring and it worked well to protect red dogwood shrubs.

After making 75 cages I vowed to never make another cage lol!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:40 am

For dogwood bare root shrubs use 4’ chicken wire and use 1/2” rebar stakes weaved through the chicken wire to support it.

Hmm good tip! Do you know how long it takes till the dogwoods can handle the browse? I feel like they can take a beating once they’re well established. I have nothing around my house except cedar, tamarack, black spruce, some willow and buckthorn. So likely the browse pressure will be profound.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 pm

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:For dogwood bare root shrubs use 4’ chicken wire and use 1/2” rebar stakes weaved through the chicken wire to support it.

Hmm good tip! Do you know how long it takes till the dogwoods can handle the browse? I feel like they can take a beating once they’re well established. I have nothing around my house except cedar, tamarack, black spruce, some willow and buckthorn. So likely the browse pressure will be profound.

They do get hit hard by the deer, I’m in ag country. They will probably get hit harder by you. I’m gonna try to keep cages on them for at least two growing seasons after planting. At that point they should be 5-6’ tall if planted in lower wet areas. I have a few shrubs that were 2-3’ long when planted that are 5’ after their first growing season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”