Hunting mature bucks

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stricklandindy
Facebook: Mark Strickland

Hunting mature bucks

Unread postby Stricklandindy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:29 am

Hello my fellow beasts. I've been hunting this piece of private land for a few yrs now. We haven't seen very much daytime movement in the areas we have been hunting, Mostly stands on field edges. We dont think we have any mature bucks bedding on the property, but think they might be bedding to the north of this property. We have a few good pics but can't seem to get on them. How would you hunt this property? Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stricklandindy

Re: Hunting mature bucks

Unread postby Stricklandindy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:33 am

Forgot this pic. Red dots. This is where we have seen the biggest bucks on the property.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:38 am

After a quick glance at the maps, I would be surprised if you don't have buck bedding on that property. How is the cover on the hillsides? Is there a lot of human pressure?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:52 am

I think you have some bedding on that property. I sent you a couple messages and maps of where I would focus attention. Hopefully others can chime in with help too
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:04 am

My first impression that you probably know about is access. Do they see, hear your parking? Will you walk into the property from the same direction almost every time?
Like I said, not a light bulb type suggestion but good luck.

Also, you have 2 sightings that MIGHT relate to N/S travel where they can cross the high ground at the narrow point. Are you normally around at rut time? Skewing your data /sightings away from bedding activities?
Thinking out loud, not sure if that relates or not.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Stricklandindy

Unread postby Stricklandindy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:35 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:After a quick glance at the maps, I would be surprised if you don't have buck bedding on that property. How is the cover on the hillsides? Is there a lot of human pressure?

Most of the property is big timber with thick cover areas spread throughout the property. Lots of hunting pressure. Trespassing and poaching in the area
Stricklandindy

Unread postby Stricklandindy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:43 am

justdirtyfun wrote:My first impression that you probably know about is access. Do they see, hear your parking? Will you walk into the property from the same direction almost every time?
Like I said, not a light bulb type suggestion but good luck.

Also, you have 2 sightings that MIGHT relate to N/S travel where they can cross the high ground at the narrow point. Are you normally around at rut time? Skewing your data /sightings away from bedding activities?
Thinking out loud, not sure if that relates or not.

There is only one spot on the property the deer could see/hear us come in, but don't think they bed there. I could be wrong. We walk from same direction every time but recently got permission to access the property from the south through the neighbors. We hunted a few day out there during the rut but didn't see much but a few young bucks and doe. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:21 am

Stricklandindy wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:After a quick glance at the maps, I would be surprised if you don't have buck bedding on that property. How is the cover on the hillsides? Is there a lot of human pressure?

Most of the property is big timber with thick cover areas spread throughout the property. Lots of hunting pressure. Trespassing and poaching in the area

Lots of pressure coupled with poaching is not a good mix. If there are a lot of other guys hunting I’d find out where all the pressure is a hunt the areas that aren’t getting pressure.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 am

Stricklandindy wrote:

But how is it on your property? If your land is low pressure but the surrounding areas get pounded, you could really have some good bedding by you. And the topography makes me think your property could have some good bedding if it’s not pressured.

Trespassing is kinda throwing a curveball though
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Stricklandindy

Unread postby Stricklandindy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 am

Jonny wrote:
Stricklandindy wrote:

But how is it on your property? If your land is low pressure but the surrounding areas get pounded, you could really have some good bedding by you. And the topography makes me think your property could have some good bedding if it’s not pressured.

Trespassing is kinda throwing a curveball though

Me and one other guy are the only ones hunting this 167 acre property. Not to much hunting pressure just the occasional tractor and ATV through the property. But we know other people have been on the property hunting a few times without the owners permission. We are going to do some heavy scouting after the season is over. Thanks for your input
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:17 am

What were the circumstances on the buck encounters at the locations you marked. AM, PM, early season, late October, rut, trail camera pics and time of pics?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 am

If I were looking at this property.
This is how I view it.

Red possible bedding spots.
Blue wind for that bed.

Their could be more bedding along field points but only by foot would you find it.

Green well if you walk through it to hunt you may as well stay home. Your either seen or smelled by near every bedding position marked.

I would walk the property lines to hunt and just keep pushing yourself further back. Just make sure your wind is blowing into the fields yours or better yet your neighbors and away from beds.
20191208_152832.jpg
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Stricklandindy

Unread postby Stricklandindy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:What were the circumstances on the buck encounters at the locations you marked. AM, PM, early season, late October, rut, trail camera pics and time of pics?

Most of the encounters have been noon or later during the rut. We have had one encounter at 930am on Nov 3rd. Here is a pic of a smaller buck at 630pm on Nov 2 on the south side of the property.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”