Where were the bucks bedded?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Where were the bucks bedded?

Unread postby Smitty » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:42 pm

B21F1C82-B819-40B6-9F4D-CA596887D717.jpeg

I have been looking back trying to piece together past successes been doing pretty good on my other ground but this one I had a lot of success a lot of nothing as well. I just never found the buck was bedded here for sure on this property. The red x in the middle is a secluded food plot my success came early season at this point bucks would be there as early as 2-3:30 pm so I assume they were close by. There dark strip below the x is tag alders the block on the right is a grown up clear cut and clear cuts below the x too. I have always found beds in the clear cuts but they usually appeared to be scattered in circles so I thought it to be doe bedding. Rifle season I did shoot a couple bucks cruising the tag alder edge when escaping pressure. Just curious what I may be missing for buck bedding. I could maybe clear this up with what I know now with boots on the ground but I’ve got other rings in the fire at the moment just hoping someone can point something out for me from the map. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Haste makes waste
Elite
500 Club

Re: Where were the bucks bedded?

Unread postby Elite » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Showing us the contour lines would be helpful.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 am

Elite wrote:Showing us the contour lines would be helpful.

Yep need those.
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 am

36F560E5-D20F-472E-B945-DA536870EECB.jpeg
D4A1DED4-6250-41A4-A0F5-BCD230483AEB.jpeg

Hopefully this helps a little it is pretty flatland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haste makes waste
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:05 am

Which X are you referring to for the food plot?
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:22 pm

It was right at the bottom of the top middle blacked out area.
Haste makes waste
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:24 am

I'm having a hard time reading your legend and understanding your property lines. If the red X drawn by hand is where your food plot is/was and the bucks were in there at 2pm, my best guess is that they're bedding in the swamp between the two contour lines.
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Elite wrote:I'm having a hard time reading your legend and understanding your property lines. If the red X drawn by hand is where your food plot is/was and the bucks were in there at 2pm, my best guess is that they're bedding in the swamp between the two contour lines.

Thanks for your response I believe that they were bedded somewhere along that swamp edge just was wondering if I was missing something obvious. I will get in there for a quick scout at some point to confirm it.
Haste makes waste
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:44 am

They may not be using actual worn out beds or you maybe just haven’t found them.

Sometimes it has taken me 3-4 separate scouting missions into the same little areas I knew bucks were coming out of in order to find the exact beds. In some cases I had been standing within feet of some and simply couldn’t see them.

Relatively flat areas with lots of cover can be tricky...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:53 am

PK_ wrote:They may not be using actual worn out beds or you maybe just haven’t found them.

Sometimes it has taken me 3-4 separate scouting missions into the same little areas I knew bucks were coming out of in order to find the exact beds. In some cases I had been standing within feet of some and simply couldn’t see them.

Relatively flat areas with lots of cover can be tricky...

You raise a good point and I think your spot on here this is an area that is Really good opening weekend(September) because the deer are using the secluded food plot so they basically get on a pattern of showing up once the atv noise is gone per camera photos. Unfortunately I hunted it before I had the knowledge of paying attention to the wind and recording other factors. But once they learn there being hunted they turn into ghosts I have been through this area a lot after leaf drop and you won’t find hardly any sign on that swamp edge (just trails with no tracks) which has me thinking they bed on that swamp edge early when they’re in velvet and once pressure picks up I think they move closer to some private that nobody ever goes onto. This piece is just eating at me because now that I know a little more about buck behavior I just want to figure it out for sure.
Haste makes waste

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”